SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
March 30th, 2011

Ahmad to Gadhafi: "If I were to see his face, I would strangle him"

TOBRUK, Libya (CNN) – Like everyone else, Aisha Ahmad watched the riveting drama unfold in a Tripoli hotel as a desperate woman burst into a dining room filled with journalists, sobbing, screaming, wanting the world to know she had been raped by 15 of Moammar Gadhafi's militia men.

The arresting images of how swiftly the woman, Eman al-Obeidy, 29, and the journalists were stifled stirred viewers around the world. But perhaps none more so than Ahmad. This was her daughter. And she was enraged. Just weeks before, Ahmad might have wept in silence. But now, with war engulfing Libya and its future hanging in the balance, Ahmad feared Gadhafi no more.

"If I were to see his face, I would strangle him," she told CNN in an interview at her modest home in the eastern coastal city of Tobruk.

CNN Phographer Khalil Abdallah was eating breakfast in the hotel, when Aisha Ahmad's daughter Eman al-Obeidy burst in on Saturday. What happened next was unexpected and violent. Khalil, the CNN Photographer, told his story to Michael Holmes on Tuesday.

Post by: , , , ,
Filed under: backstory • Interviews
  1. hussein

inshallah it will happen 2there family 2... Dear sista may allah be with you and you family. Amin ya rabbi <3

March 30, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Esraa

16a13635158You actually make it paaepr really easy along with your presentation however I find this topic to be really something that I think I'd by no means understand. It seems too complicated and extremely huge for me. I'm looking ahead for your next put up, I will try to get the grasp of it! 18d

March 24, 2012 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Abhishek

Is anyone else ecenriepxing severe instability in the Windows Phone design surface since the last round of Microsoft Updates? I've been getting very frequent designer crashes. Most of the time it just claims it can't load some assembly (there are several, it varies). Occasionally the whole VS IDE dies. Sometimes click-to-reload works. Generally, recompiling then clicking to reload is more successful. It's usable, but only if you have a lot of patience. I don't believe this is specific to my computer as it happened at home and at work, and one of these is 64 bit Win7Ult, and the other is 32-bit Win7Ult (it's an elderly notebook), and in both cases the problems started right after updates forced a reboot.

March 26, 2012 at 5:52 am | Report abuse |
      • Riyal

must be fair to say that the french are iiluvidiadistnc, in a not-so-humble way. if you get past that character of them, i guess you can go along well with any other nationalities. (i don't really buy the donation thing.)i am not fond of french people but the very few i like i really look up to. (uhm, like truffaut and godard and bazin, haha)

July 26, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. John Bosco

This is one of the more reasons narcissists, &despots alike, should be inflicted with a comensurate measure of corporate inducement applicable for them to experience the pangs of the systemic aberration, impecunious living-standard & cataclysmic misanthropy they have created!

March 30, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vasif

My understanding is that this a cpnmaoy-wide project at F+W Media. We weren't told if CBGXtra's forums were specifically targeted or not, just that they would be taken down.In the meantime, enjoy Mr. Silver Age's safe house here on the main website as well as the other content we'll bring you in the coming days.

August 27, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Nnonyelu Chibueze

I believe that when the power of love will replace the love for power, the world wil be a very lively and peaceful place.

March 30, 2011 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Liliam

Normally I'm against kiinllg but this article slaughtered my ignorance.

October 1, 2011 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
    • ebzbjs

UNSwtP asgurcxsbeut

October 1, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • hfutsirbmr

Din8WY wsvjupwnwniq

October 3, 2011 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yogini

Hi I am just practicing with a first webtise and have used this code (thanks) and it works great except I get the same code error as Eilia and Israel when one first goes into the Members page (when no filter is applied to the search). Did you resolve this? I don't get the error anywhere else, and I don't care about it on that filter, as such, but obviously as a novice I have no clue how to remove the error message. Hope you can spare 5 mins to help. thanks

August 28, 2012 at 4:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. adekanye eedris aaloma

Gadhafi is not a man of god.

March 30, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annouck

I will run this by my tech guy' because that is not my area of exsirtepe. At all! I did submit the podcast to iTunes and, as soon as they get it up and running, you will be able to listen to it straight from there, easy as pie.

August 28, 2012 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
      • Joana

Posted on I ought to say, as a whole lot as I enjoyed redaing what you had to say, I couldnt support but shed interest right after a while. Its as if you had a fantastic grasp on the subject matter, but you forgot to consist of your readers. Perhaps you must consider this from far a lot more than one angle. Or perhaps you shouldnt generalise so considerably. Its greater should you consider what other people may possibly have to say rather of just going for a gut reaction towards the topic. Think about adjusting your own believed method and giving other people who could read this the benefit of the doubt.

October 3, 2012 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |
  5. Addra

CNN U' guyz re not telln d world truth of what happening , U' bias in ur report. u only report dat ur western counterpart has train. U need undate d world abt ivory coast nd odas.

March 30, 2011 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Antonio

I get around huedrnds emails daily. First of all I have a look at all the emails and If I see any important email i flag that immediately and look for other important messages. After looking at the inbox I read flagged emails again and respond if needed.Thanks,Rama

August 27, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Paul

Gadaffi should be more cautious in the way he handles the crisis in Libya. He should now that he will answer for all that happens in the contrary in that nation.International criminal court of justice should not sleep.

March 30, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. teeylawla

This is uncall for and justice must be done to these calous soldiers. Every human right organisations sholud up and speak for this innocent girl.

March 30, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ojumola winnie

This is patetic&absolutely unnecessary.Why are women&d girl child made to bear d brunt of war&civil unrest?its sad,wit all d un conventions&resolutions of which d greater percentage of nations are signatory,s.Its traumatic not 2 mention d social stigma,dis trend has 2 stop.

March 30, 2011 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. zainab Atimah Ibrahim

What an inhuman way to treat a fellow human being!

March 31, 2011 at 5:46 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kawu

Rape is a serious sin to the general humanity,as inversions into islamic states in the name of protecting civilians.

March 31, 2011 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  11. John luta

It quiet unfortunate for a twenty nine years old lady to have been raped by 15 men.now my question is, can't the world power do something about this hurrible situation?or is the soul called Gadhafi greater than the world power organization?the world power act very fast before it will go off hand.

March 31, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Emmanuel

what is the international community doing about that now?

April 3, 2011 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Lazar Panic

Do you really believe in such stories? CNN produce it as on assembly line. The story is always same: brutal soldiers or paramilitary boys rape helpless woman, handed of woman or best – thousands of woman! As this soldiers have nothing to do more effective but to rape poor woman. Pity for real victims of such activities but this is not that! This is just war propaganda.

April 5, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Isaiah

I found you in Real Simple also. I already have you in my bnolliges just haven't been on here much due to surgery.I have grown cherry tomatoes in my south bay window for the past two winters. I simply open cherry tomatoes into a pot, cover the seeds, and water all winter long! We've had to cut them off each year as they reach the ceiling!This year, I hope to grow tomatoes from hanging pots and strawberries indoors. Hopefully I'll get additional ideas from your site. We have 6 flower gardens and 1 veggie garden. One of our flower gardens is watered from the dropping water from our 2nd floor deck plants. I'd love to learn other ways to recycle water to help the environment and also cut the costs of my gardening obsession!

March 24, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
      • Putra

What?s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have dveroisced It positively helpful and it has helped me out loads. I hope to give a contribution & help different users like its aided me. Good job.force field analysis recently posted..

August 27, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Helda

workmanlikede on February 28, 2011 There's a guy giving out a free guide about mkiang a website, and creating revenue from it I thought it was BS but it worked well for me The guide is 100% free, and he also gives you his email adress so you can email him if you have problems!Get it now at:Tyreus {dot} net

August 30, 2012 at 6:59 am | Report abuse |
  13. Boniface okeh

Dis is nt propaganda but real issue dat needs 2 b adresed urgently. Wat wil CNN gain makin up storis? We all no dat tins lik dis hapens in times of war nd unrest.
    But i wnt 2 ask, is it rong 4 oda world powaful contris 2 join force wit d rebels 2 fait?

April 7, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |