SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
April 1st, 2011

Allegations of rape in Libya: Getting Eman Al-Obeidy's story out

By Back|Story staff, CNN International and CNN's Reza Sayah in Libya

You'll remember she tried to tell her story to international journalists in a Tripoli hotel on March 26th. She said she'd been brutally gang-raped by 15 of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi’s troops.

Eman Al-Obeidy was taken away by Gadhafi loyalists. She hasn’t been seen since. A Libyan government spokesman says she's alive. He promised that female journalists would be allowed to interview her in the next couple of days.

Reza Sayah traveled many hours by car to visit the woman’s family and interview them to get their side of the story. Click on the above video to watch the full segment with Reza’s Back|Story. Reza just sent this note on the latest he has on the story:

“The mother says she still hasn’t heard from Eman. She’s aware of the regime’s promise to have two journalists interview her on Saturday. Her mother says she’s suspicious of the regime and worried that this is another plan by the regime to discredit her daughter and depict her in a bad light.”

Post by: , , , ,
Filed under: backstory
  1. Emmanuel

Why is it so difficult for U.N or any international community to come to Al-Obeidy aid? Why do U.N always have to WAIT till numerous are dead before they react? Alot of people that cannot be accounted for are dead. Please help us broadcast the slumbering of the U.N. Thank to CNN.

April 3, 2011 at 6:11 am | Report abuse |
  2. Bruggen Marc

I agree with Emmanuel, the UN is always to late.
    The UN was created to protect people who were unable to protect themselves against aggressors.
    They talk a lot but do little, while many people die needlessly.
    Look at Rwanda, Yugoslavia etc.

Most of the people the UN are there for the money and not to help the people in need.
    Most of them are politicians who want a well paid job just before retirement.
    And if a UN VIP is looking in a country where there is a need, then they have a row of 4×4's and a lot of security people, then I wonder what costs it all and should that VIP better be left at home and use the money to help the people.

The UN is: "Lots of money wasted on a few individuals rather useful for many"

Bye bye from Belgium.

P.S.: YAY my first comment on the Backstory blog!!

April 4, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Khemmie Komolafe

I actually got impatient when I heard Al'Obeidy's voice after over one week.The international communities & U.N should come to her aid.......& prevent her name from being labelled, after all.....they've always preached dat people should not be quiet about rape cases........

April 9, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. The Blessed Virgin Mary Queen of Peace

"Oh, My Son Jesus, forgive these sins; there are so many of them!"

"Continue to pray, because prayer is the salvation of the people."

"Dear children, behold, also today I want to call you to start living a new life as of today. Dear children, I want you to comprehend that God has chosen each one of you, in order to use you in a great plan for the salvation of mankind. You are not able to comprehend how great your role is in God’s design. Therefore, dear children, pray so that in prayer you may be able to comprehend what God’s plan is in your regard. I am with you in order that you may be able to bring it about in all its fullness. Thank you for having responded to my call."

"Be converted! It will be too late when the sign comes. Beforehand, several warnings will be given to the world. Hurry to be converted. I need your prayers and your penance.

"My heart is burning with love for you. For you it is enough to be converted. To ask questions is unimportant. Be converted. Hurry to proclaim it. Tell everyone that it is my wish, and that I do not cease repeating it. Be converted, be converted. It is not difficult for me to suffer for you. I beg you, be converted.

"I will pray to my Son to spare you the punishment. Be converted without delay. You do not know the plans of God; you will not be able to know them. You will not know what God will send, nor what He will do. I ask you only to be converted. That is what I wish. Be converted! Be ready for everything, but be converted. That is part of conversion. Goodbye, and may peace be with you."

April 11, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jaylin

This is way more helpful than aythning else I've looked at.

August 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
      • Deirdre

Well now, this makes me feel really old. When sheipa was all the rage Tracy and I were much younger.P.S. There are programs out there that allow you to convert color photos directly to either sheipa or black and white. I'll have to do a little experimenting with some photos of my own.

March 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |