SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
May 12th, 2011

Child Mutilated for Refusing to Beg

Sara Sidner brings us the stunning story of a young boy who helped uncover a criminal gang that, for years, has been maiming children and forcing them to beg for money on the streets of Bangladesh.  When the gang approached the small child, he refused, and paid a heavy price for his denial.

1. Henry G

Interesting story, but did you consider meeting with the Human Rights Oficer at the U.S. Embassy? Another note you shoukd consider is the RAB's reputation for using torture to achieve confessions and habit of extrajudicial killings.

May 13, 2011 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  2. Anonymous

I can say that minkyu is so cool. Thanks for the helpful post.

March 18, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allysson

Another weird name after a body of land. . .trying to be original?Wahwah. . . . poor litlte girls -growing up with names that sound like they should live in a low-rent housing projectComment edited by blog owner. I have removed your final paragraph. Please no personal attacks.

October 3, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. Kung

It'll be interesting to see if this bcemoes a campaign scandal, as it should, but somehow I doubt it.Segueing to the left, I received an email invitation to attend a gathering in D.C. in October for the Take Back the American Dream group. At first I thought it was to be a demonstration but alas no, it turns out to be a Conference and Awards Gala at the Washington Hilton. I am invited to register now and receive the discounted sleeping room rate of $259 a night. Attendance at the conference and gala is an additional $345. One of the speakers is a writer from The Daily Show.This is how the left organizes to fight the right-wing takeover.Think I'll pass. 0

October 3, 2012 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Hasham

I have been staying in Dhaka for a project since September and commute between two main circles, Gulshan I and Gulshan II, between my hotel and office. Every single day, on the way to work and back, I am approached by countless beggars, many of whom are children with deformities. I also know that many were probably born normal! And I know this because I grew up in Pakistan where this horror of kidnapping and mutilating children has been perpetuated for years and still goes on. The whole South Asia is afflicted by this. Its unbelievable that it goes on in this day and age and yet we haven't done anything about it.

December 4, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lawan Bukar

The world is full of evil borne out of ignorance. Thank you, CNN for letting us know about the plight of this poor Bengal boy. Truly, you live up to your billing as the best international news outfit in the world.

January 5, 2013 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |