SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
May 12th, 2011

Mutilated and Forced to Beg in Bangladesh

Sara Sidner's shocking report for the CNN Freedom Project introduced us to a young Bangladeshi boy who was approached by a local gang and ordered to beg on the street for profit.  When the child refused, the gang beat and mutilated him.  But, tragically, he's not alone.  As Sara learned, it's an all too common occurrence for street children in southeast Asia.   Michael talked with her about her reporting.

1. opu

at first i would like to thank CNN for this shocking but true report. i live in Bangladesh and i can't believe this can be happened in front of every one's eyes. while children are forced to beg, they absolutely break up mentally and physically. i think local medias are too busy to make reports like this serious issue, in other word they are not taking this issue seriously. here in our country we talk a lot about children's future but good steps haven't been taken yet expectedly. what can be more ridiculous than forcing a kid to beg.

May 13, 2011 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Rashik

absolutely agreeing with Opu...:(

May 13, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
      • opu

thank you. Rashik.

May 16, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Annemarie

I know that healing is pobsisle .but I don't understand why the good things keep going away .why when someone is working so hard to heal, is the rug pulled out from under them .only to have to possibly start all over .its hard to think that there will ever be a time when I am truly happy with myself ..my whole self Do I again shove it all to that place in my head .only for it to surface again .I am scared it will all come back with a vengence .if I don't continue with the healing .if I don't do this now and I stuff it all back in ..what is my life really going to be about .I don't want to put that fake smile back on .pretend everything is perfect .pretend I know what to do.How did Rheanna learn to love her body again? Even with the things I do, I stand there thinking that all those people see how fat and ugly I am. Maybe not on the inside but on the outside. I feel like everyone sees the scars from the damage done, that they see me as a slob. I still continue to do things to make me stronger but cannot seem to get past how I see myself. Even with all the progress I have made, I am so scared I will never get to the point where I am truly happy. I am, in my eyes, so unattractive, I will never find someone who will truly love me for who I am.

September 30, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Keith Powell

I had first sight of this when I was in Rio De Janeiro in 1983 working with the Brazilian F1 GP
    Sitting outside the Palace hotal on Copacabana having a drink a young kid came up
    to us on a piece of wood on wheels. He was around 6/7 years of age and had what
    looked like deformed legs. We felt great pity and gave this boy some dollars only to be
    swarmed by his friends, also deformed in some way. The hotel manager advised us
    that these children had been deformed by their parents and that we should come inside
    to drink otherwsie the whole area would be covered with beggars. 1983 and it is was
    to stick in my mind forever. It has just spread into ways of survival in this terribly cruel
    world that we now live, whichever country sufferers great divide in riches and poverty,no future
    for the poor and no hope other than begging to the rich. It is so sad that things have only worsened
    in the last 30 years. Anyone have any advise as to how to stop this. Ask the corporations and
    corrupt governments of this world have they any ideas?? I don't exclude the US and UK from the
    corrupt governments list either.

May 13, 2011 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Toto

BMI is still a fairly good indicadator for US Ameradicans asbcuee the BMI measure was oriadginadally based on a person of that body type — it’s when BMI is used for other ethadniadcities such as Oriadentals who are “traaddiadtionadally” small and light or Hisadpanics who are often shorter and heavier, that problems arise.

March 26, 2012 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
      • Berly

I had my wedding dress aotreatilns at Dream Seams in July. I can't speak more highly of the service I received. A professional service in a lovely relaxed atmosphere. My dress was finished beautifully and thanks to Dreams Seams fit perfectly. I would not hesitate in recommending their services. Thank you

May 12, 2012 at 2:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. haque

Thanks CNN

May 14, 2011 at 12:10 am | Report abuse |
  4. Ricardo

Instead of giving money, give food (ie. Chocolates, cookies, etc). These things will noursish their souls and bodies. They can eat them and the gang members can't take it away.

May 14, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Vinay

Keri – i love that he takes a few moments to talk to them haha. i miss him!i told the giant tree/winnie-the-pooh-refusing-to-come-out-and-play story at a group the other night they were ccoleltively going awwww! and giggling at the same time. October 25, 2008 2:33 pm

March 26, 2012 at 5:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Zoezan

kai Posted on Hey Chris, Being outside the fenlieg of flow is a great way to describe it. Checking in with your flow is a great way to know when it's time to take a break.Thanks for stopping by.

August 28, 2012 at 4:38 am | Report abuse |
  5. Umana Anjalin

It's a shame for my country. This story is an ultimate face-off. I am so very ashamed of this heart-wrenching report of cruelty. 'Slumdog Millionnaire' was no surprise to us in this subcontinent as we always heard about stories like these; but, none came with the fact. This should be an eye-opener.

May 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Edsel Celestijn

Sara you did a tremendous work.

May 14, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Furkan

We are at an early stage as a movement being such I've noitced a few people who are not survivers who are sympathetic to the movement. This is encouraging to me back in the early seventies I saw none. to me it seems that when the people not directly effected by abuse join hands with us then a benchmark has passed. The infomation needs to reach everyone before any abuse takes place to attain a certain level of effectiveness. One of my stuggles is control and I ask myself. Now that I am a survivor and willfully passionate about advocating am I still under the control of my rapist? Just not in the way he intended? Can being a survivor ever mean I am totaly free from the trauma of being rape? So 40 years ago I was raped and I am still feeling the effects, still reacting to it. This is a common occurance so I am not just that slow. The effects are that big from being raped. So we need to react to this abuse before it happens to really make a change in the future lives of our children.

August 30, 2012 at 6:38 am | Report abuse |
    • Tobias

Posted on Plato goes on to explain that the pertlcfey good individual, like the pertlcfey good city, is wise, courageous, moderate and just. He is wise, because his reason rules him. He is courageous because his spirit is the loyal ally of his reason. He is moderate because his desires obey the dictates of reason. He is just because each part of his soul e2€œminds its own business.e2€9d The just man e2€œarranges himself, becomes his own friend, and harmonizes the three parts, (reason, spirit, and desire) exactly like three notes in a harmonic scale.e2€9d

October 3, 2012 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. Ricardo

The way to finish with this is giving the children love, talking to them and showing them one cares (ie. asking them their name, where their from, what cricket or soccer team they like, etc... like if you were talking to one's baby brother... and... always carrying good treats that will be good for them and that they will eat (the gangsters get no money). I always carry with me cookies, musli candy bars, etc... The kids open their eyes like if it were a treasure when they get one.

May 14, 2011 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Farhan

poverty is not a curse .. i repeat it's not a curse ... it's a fight lost or destined to be lost ...i know we are poor.there is nothing to be regretful ...but i'm feeling ashamed of, only because we are portrayed "inhuman poor" .. it cements my anger with that , as our so called decision makers and politicos are still silent ...

May 15, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  9. Tailynn

Stay infoamtrive, San Diego, yeah boy!

August 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dayta

I see that this post has won the best personal blog in the Philippine Blog Awards 2010, and this ineded is worth it. Way. If I were a judge, you could have won 10 times over. Unfortunately, I was not.I'm looking forward to more posts from you Don't worry I'm easy to please. Hehehe!As for this one, I was touched.Congratulations!

August 27, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Christi

I emailed CNN and did not get a response. Is there any way to help this boy get medical treatment? I know that there are things that can be done for him. Who can I contact? What can I do to help him get treatment? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

August 29, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Holly

I had intended joiinng you in London, however a committment made some time ago is in the way. I do however on a regular bsis give Talks on my Book and life experience in Ireland in the hands of the so called Sisters of Mercy. My voice allows me to inform different organisations of what really happened behing a six foot wall in Moate, co Westmeath Ireland. In fact what the representatives of the Catholic Church did to innocent Irish Catholic children throughout the Country. The damage and destruction they left in their wake and we today still feel the pain of our loss of Childhood and Family life. Keep the candle burning.Kathleen O'Malley.

August 28, 2012 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jasmine

Thanks for the wise critique. Me & my nbohgeir were just making ready to do some research on this. We got a grab a book from our space library however I believe I discovered more clear from this post. I m very glad to see such unbelievable information being shared freely out there.

March 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ahmed

JasonViens23 on January 31, 2011 that was horrible lol haaahhha.. im so happy mine didnt go that bad.. a bit of advice to all future best men.. dont try to be a inevative hero.. look up some good speeches take some good points from a few of them then impliment your own touch on them.. its a stressfull moment there is nothing wrong with a little help

August 30, 2012 at 4:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Nisa

Posted on The new Zune browser is siugrrsinply good, but not as good as the iPod's. It works well, but isn't as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that's not an issue, but if you're planning to browse the web alot from your PMP then the iPod's larger screen and better browser may be important.

October 3, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
  13. Vilma

gavoranges on January 27, 2011 edrianquintos How old is your Vitality Oral B? As rghlareabce batteries age it is know that they do not last as long.Have you tried though intially removing your toothbrush off the charger after 1,2,3 hours. As it tends to do the recommended minimum 2minutes brush time.Best Wishes.

August 30, 2012 at 4:55 am | Report abuse |
  14. Sonia

Dilaz ..There are many educated pelpoe in Nigeria, so why do you think they are too blind to see anything from the light of modernity ? Why do you think PRICH did a good job and how?

September 30, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |