SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
Gang Sex Trafficking and the Internet
Photo Credit: Anoek De Groot/AFP/Getty Images
June 29th, 2011

Gang Sex Trafficking and the Internet

Traci Tamura, CNN Producer

In April of this year, the Oceanside Police Department in California led an 18-month multi-agency investigation that resulted in the indictment of 38 suspected Crips gang members, their alleged associates and two hotel owners. The indictment asserts that the Oceanside Crips organization was “engaged in a variety of illegal activities, including but not limited to the prostitution of minors and adult females, attempted murder, robbery, and narcotics trafficking.”

After hearing about this case, Thelma Gutierrez and I set out to delve into the world of traditional street gangs moving into the world of prostitution and sex trafficking as part of the CNN Freedom Project’s initiative to End Modern Day Slavery.  And what we found was eye-opening.

See Thelma and Traci's full report here.

We headed to the coastal community of Oceanside,California to talk with some law enforcement officials who were part of the investigation. They described the Oceanside Crips gang as a sophisticated "enterprise" that brought formerly warring Crips gang members together in the business of prostitution and sex trafficking. Authorities say the gangs were drawn in by the potentially huge profits from using the Internet to exploit their female victims – some of whom were minors – and from forcing the women to sell themselves online for sex.

According to law enforcement, the Internet has become such a portal for sex trafficking that it’s moving prostitution off the street corners to the underground world of cyberspace.  One local police official told us how challenging this type of crime is to enforce when you can’t visually see it. Also, with the budget constraints most cities face, police simply don't have the staffing to dedicate officers to just sit on a computer and monitor the activity on a daily basis.

Thelma talks with BackStory about her experience reporting this story, and takes us on a ride-along with Oceanside Police Sergeant Adam Knowland

When reporting our story, we spent some time with "Jessica”, who is a former prostitute, who had a gang member as her pimp. She told us her "Guerilla" pimp - one who controls his prostitutes by intimidation and physical abuse – raped her when she first came into contact with him and that she was treated like a modern-day slave.  "Jessica" revealed how she lived in constant fear for her life and was forced to prostitute herself just to survive. She told us how she was made to post ads selling herself online, and how all it took to book a "date" at a local hotel room was a simple click of a key and a phone call to a prepaid cell phone. It's all done anonymously.  The women never even having to leave their hotel rooms to make their average quote of $1,000 to $3,000 dollars a day. But the girls never saw a penny of the "donations" they earned. Instead, they simply worked to be fed, avoid beatings and stay alive.

Luckily, "Jessica" finally escaped with a couple other girls, after convincing one of their "customers" that their lives were in danger. The customer finally agreed to help them.  He kept his word to take them to another hotel, but he still got his "payment" in sex before he allowed the girls to call the police. "Jessica" is now free from what she describes as a life of being a sex slave.  And with the help of support groups – like the San Diego-based Bilateral Safety Corridor Coalition – she is currently rebuilding her life and her relationship with her mother.  But “Jessica” says still worries about all the other vulnerable women and girls who remain enslaved by their pimps.

Post by:
Filed under: backstory • CNN Freedom Project
  1. guest

This has been going on for years in (North County) Oceanside, Vista, etc. . The whole judicial system there is corrupt.

June 29, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*obi chukwuemeka

the police should wakeup against all this gang sex crimes.something serious should be done about it

July 1, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
      • Ryan

It's a shame you don't have a donate bttuon! I'd definitely donate to this superb blog! I guess for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will share this website with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

October 3, 2012 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Tarek

Wow, tonight we cltebraee my second son's high school graduation with friends and were happily entertained by a Kansas funnel cloud and hailstones the size of baseballs.It has been a night to remember and it is not over yet.I just sat down to see if our pics we sent went to facebook and read your lovely post. It won't be long before you are watching Mac throw his tasseled hat into the air. Enjoy Jane, he is a special kind of fun!

August 30, 2012 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. Juan

I am also doing IMAZ and saw you on Beginner Triathlete. I will be in town on Tuesday of race week and the flmaiy will not be in until Thur. night/Fri. morning. Me a few other friends are planning on getting together for a dinner Wed. maybe Thur. If you're interested let me know. Hope all is well with your race prep.

February 26, 2012 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Wesley

Thanks for the tips and pictures, you did a wdnreoful job with the tile! I think they both blend very nice and I might have to try that sometime. Thanks again.

August 27, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Pharmk657

Hello! kfebdda interesting kfebdda site! I'm really like it! Very, very kfebdda good!

March 20, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Laura

Ok all the guys at work are wondering whats wrong with me! Im a blbubering fool right now! You girls (Jenn and Lisa) are AMAZING, and that word doesnt even do u justice! I am truely amazed each and everyday at the strength that the Churchills have! I dont even know how I wld handle something like that! LOVE ALL OF U! CHUCHILLS AND WHITEMORES~

May 9, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
      • Fitriyah

I just finished reindag The Other Boleyn Girl, by Philippa Gregory and I was sorry to have it end. I got home from work every day and would dive into it, not caring about dinner even! My hubby laughed at me (the former non-reader),acting like a person in withdrawals after finishing a book. I just started Mrs. Perfect. Loving it, Jane! I will be pacing the floor waiting for your next one!

August 30, 2012 at 5:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. Pharma238

Very nice site!

March 20, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Huzur

Jim W.This is a good thing you do. Started when you were 13 and I can't count how many rides you did for someone else who cuodln't . You are an inspiration. Your teammates are a pleasure . I can't imagine your son and daughter will not race for some good cause too. Enjoy the beauty as you cross the country. Its a win win! Have a safe trip. My heart will be with you all the way. Love, Mom of Major Jim Weinstein

October 3, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
      • Jessik

Superb! it's the word that comes to my mind when I look at your weblog and when I read what you have to state. Your thkinnig are extremely much as well mine. I pleased which i chose to enter your website to see what you're interested in.

October 29, 2012 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Soo

Jacob – I have a few favorites here! First of all, I like the kisisng shot in the car. It's a throwback to those days in high school when didn't always have a place to hang out.Secondly, both of the boardwalk shots are GREAT. I especially love the color one. They convey the idea that in a crazy world, you really only need each other. Lastly, I love the shot with the pier in the background. Even though we only see the back of Robbie's head, it's still clear that you adore each other! Well done, Narrative Images December 13, 2011 7:57 am

October 3, 2012 at 7:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bhavish

Fantastic beat ! I would like to beginner as you mfoidy your website, how can i sign up for a blog site? The accounts aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of the your broadcast provided bright clear concept

October 31, 2012 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. eco friendly

We are a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with useful info to work on. You've done a formidable process and our entire group will probably be grateful to you.

March 27, 2013 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |