SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
July 7th, 2011

Embedded with U.S. Troops in Afghanistan: Capturing moments

CNN Producer Tommy Evans and Nick Paton Walsh were embedded with U.S. Troops at combat outposts in Afghanistan during moments of rest, and moments of extreme stress and fighting against the troop's opposition.

In the blink of an an eye, or the snap of a camera shutter, things can change. Tommy captured many moments during these times, which show as best as a picture can, what life is like in a mountainous war zone such as Afghanistan. Back|Story really feels the power and emotion that a still picture can capture and we know you do too.

So that is why we called Tommy while he was in Afghanistan and asked him to talk to us about these images; talk to us about what they meant, and the stories behind them as the journalist who took them.

Post by:
Filed under: backstory • Interviews • journalists • photography
  1. Adam

the war @ afghanistan & other places harbouring d so called terorrist had make d USA & allied forces operations on losses interms of: cost of weapons waste, salary & finiancial packages 2 trookps, claimed life's of combats's, insuarance cover, materials @war fields, cost of imformation, civilian casualties, food & aid supplies n yet d war 2d western world & allied countries is called IN*EVITABLE? after multiple's of attack 2d troops by opposition daily & combat haven't security of their lifes n properties?

July 7, 2011 at 6:21 am | Report abuse |
  2. Victor G.

Tommi and Nick, thanks for daring to go front line. Whoa! it is a very powerful experience isn't it?
    It wil help us appreciate our Men in Uniform, it wil help us criticize them objectively and help us appreciate life for what it really is.
    Thanks for the pics, guys.
    God bless.

July 7, 2011 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  3. sunnyEssien(NIG)

such pixs n videos to some can be seen as location pixs in war movies. but these are risk taking in the front line of war-torn-zones where enemies carry explosives in their teeth. tommy n co. are certainly war heroes too.

July 7, 2011 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Vikd

ayvnielsen1 on January 1, 2010 she must be an attorney she cant give a sgatirht answer in ch 7. it all gets wiped away right away, and in ch 13 you pay a little every month for 3-5 yrs, then the rest gets wiped away good way to save your house if your behind

August 28, 2012 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  4. Stew

A bit srpurseid it seems to simple and yet useful.

August 18, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Latasha

Why does this have to be the ONLY reillbae source? Oh well, gj!

September 29, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • hvyywcbf

nFXFt2 ubvcpsnqqpwb

September 30, 2011 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
      • Pippo

I just say that of a relief to get semnooe that actually knows what theyre speaking about on the internet. You definitely discover how to bring an issue to light making it important. More people must look at this and appreciate this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular as you definitely possess the gift.

May 12, 2012 at 4:35 am | Report abuse |
    • xjbekrnbo

FXA5sU srqptkzmxans

October 3, 2011 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
    • Rakesh

Hello, My daughter Stephanie took some prtercipsion drugs, I was told, and died in her sleep. Her birthday is tomorrow. I just saw on channel WGN a message to parents to watch out for their prtercipsion drugs from Partnership at Drugfree.org. I had seen it before but did not know what it meant. I grew up in the 70 s and had know idea about perscription drugs. The message needs to be more clear. Please add Prescription drug abuse is of critical concern in the Commonwealth, devastating families and communities and killing more people than car crashes each year. I can tell my story. It must be why it happened. Please let me know how I can be involved. Sincerely, Lauren Brennan

August 27, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. udeybgbhxgn

3SKonL pwgwfvunecae

August 18, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cevat

gb1421 on March 4, 2011 Want to make money online? Find the Secret Formula to make a mloiiln dollars in one year in my profile. This is a real online business and me and my business partners are only accepting 50 more people into my program. Join now while you still can and change your life FOREVER. Check out my URL link in my profile. It will Change your life. I have already made almost 10,000 dollars in only a month!

August 30, 2012 at 7:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Duaa

Posted on I am extremely imprsseed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, its rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays..

October 31, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  6. Allen A. Bond

The actual Bend Bend style is a lot much more luxurious as well as intended for clients that like to end up being because showy within their design since the manufacturer Allen A. Bond

August 4, 2012 at 3:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Salim

1b5Good e383bbI should cetlainry pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and related info ended up being truly easy to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Quite unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, website theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Excellent task.

August 27, 2012 at 11:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Adam

wgreenwood25 on January 21, 2010 Hello I am a member of 24 hevower I don't go like I should. This class looks fun, and a great way to burn calories. I am going to try it out tonight at my local 24. I will write another post later tonight to let you guys know what I think about this class. Take care and good workout to everyone.

August 30, 2012 at 5:19 am | Report abuse |