SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
July 12th, 2011

Life of a tabloid journalist: tricks to get the story

News Corp. has called off its $12.5 billion bid to purchase British Sky Broadcasting.  This is a huge setback for media magnate Rupert Murdoch and comes amid the growing scandal over phone hacking. British lawmakers have called Murdoch, his son James and former News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks to testify before them next week. On Sunday, Murdoch’s tabloid News of the World shut its doors over allegations of illegal breach of privacy. Now two other Murdoch newpapers have been implicated in the scandal. British police have identified nearly 4,000 potential targets of phone hacking.

Former tabloid journalist David LaFontaine once worked for News of the World and Star Magazine. He talks to Back|Story about how far tabloid journalists go to get the story.

Filed under: backstory • journalists
  1. Olanrewaju Damilola

Hi, I think the ball is in their court...As for the Mgt...surely that will happen...

July 12, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Olanrewaju Damilola

They should more effort to it...As for the Mgt. Surely that will that will happen...

July 12, 2011 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Marina

I find the whole "tabloid" press repugnant...I don't see anything of news value in covering the private lives of people, irrespective of whether they are politicians, celebrities, athletes or even worse, private citizens. Interestingly, people in Britain didn't kick up a fuss until they learned of practices relating to survivors of victims of 7/11, troops or that poor little girl. Should they not be responsible for wanting to read these stories? Encouraging that kind of reporting by purchasing these publications? Makes you wonder.

July 13, 2011 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
  4. Srigrace

Manage your Online Reservation software Interface allows your guests to view your reservations online through and receive online reservations directly into your reservation software system.

July 13, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Martin L. Koss

The actual Bend Bend style is a lot much more luxurious as well as intended for clients that like to end up being because showy within their design since the manufacturer Martin L. Koss

August 4, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rio

I really enjoy this web site I also have a web cmonumity just like you, but mine is vey different from this, it is about no deposit poker bonus .:)I will also have to apologize by my language it was the only way I found to talk with you .Xo Xo to all of you, Bye bye, by the way Happy New Year

August 28, 2012 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  7. red bottom shoes for men

Definitely, what a great site and instructive posts, I definitely will bookmark your site.All the Best! red bottom shoes for men http://rbsmen.overblog.com/

March 6, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. dedicated hosting

Have you ever thought about writing an ebook or guest authoring on other websites? I have a blog based upon on the same ideas you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my subscribers would value your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.| dedicated hosting http://www.eso.com.au/modules/FridayForum/profile.php?id=275830

August 5, 2013 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |