SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
August 3rd, 2011

Journey from Tunisia into Libya

Editor's noteCNN Back|Story's Michael Holmes is on assignment in Libya covering the conflict there. Along with his Back|Story piece above, he sent in this note for you all:

Greetings everyone from western Libya.  I'm sitting in our house here in the rebel held city of Zintan as cameraman/editor Charlie Miller puts together our next story.

It's been a little difficult to get things done here, with little local phone access, scorching heat, tough terrain and of course there's a war on.

But the team has been able to file a few stories (and a couple of BackStories are coming soon!) which I hope you've been able to catch.

This video is our first BackStory from this assignment: a look at how we got here, coming into Libya from Tunis and shooting our first story on town retaken by rebel forces late last week.

Thanks for watching BackStory – not sure when I'm back but I'm following the show via the blog here at www.cnn.com/backstory and www.facebook.com/backstorycnn  – I'll file a note when I can about our experiences so far as soon as possible.

(And I hear Doug is working on a slideshow of my photos - how lovely!)

Cheers,

Michael.
On twitter @HolmesCNN

Filed under: Arab World • backstory • journalists • Libya
  1. Alex Alabi

Thanks for reporting from Libya. I wish you guys God's protection always.

August 3, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fibi

I really am proud to call mseylf a fan of Angie. She is a great role model to all of us. I really have to admire her tireless work for these refugees all around the world. She always goes where she is needed. Still wondering what her new job for the UN is but itb4ll sure revealed in time. She is a great humanitarian and a loving mother to her children and a loving partner to Brad. Hopefully sheb4s now back to Huungary safe and sound. God bless her and her family 4ever!

July 26, 2012 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. george mungoni

keep it up guys and hey stay safe

August 3, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  3. AKE DANIELS

HOMLES IS REALLY DOING A GOOD JOB THERE.WHAT IS THE CURRENT SITUATION OF THE WAR IN LIBYA?PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU STAY SAVE

August 3, 2011 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. thomas monar

Welcome but kenya tunahafa njaa dadayetu

August 3, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. charles

Brave of you! In all of this what the situation with the civilians?

August 3, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • William

Angelove — eh? I think those people've got other thgins on their minds than drooling over looks at this point. They look more like they're discussing an important issue. The guy's simply translating and explaining. I'm off back to lurker mode. Thanks for the links & articles people!

September 30, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lucky Diamond

Holmy good job but pls stay save. I just hope Gadafi will not succeed in killing all those he is ruling b4 d international community will find a solution to his madness!

August 4, 2011 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
    • Xantara

What liberating knlowdege. Give me liberty or give me death.

September 29, 2011 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
    • dnztmounx

qCHRUC zkxwbspcdgxv

September 29, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • hyfovglvms

KwFFwI mfdwoowdktka

October 3, 2011 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  7. odusoga larry king

Holmy!good of you and nice one for your good job bcox I know what it takes. But I really from to hear more from you. Bcox I don't know what (AKUMA) want again in this life we liveing.thanks hope to hear more from you.

August 4, 2011 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Leonardinho

my drive to/from work takes arhywene from 30 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. I'm on the retirement home living schedule too and I hate how late my favorite shows are on and I don't have DVR!

February 24, 2012 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  8. christopher george ishikaku

Hello holm.Thanks once again for ur great good job.the world is watching at the situation of libya.pls i am apealing to the international community and african leaders to join hands to resolved the conflirt in libya. the lifes of the civilians and innocents onces are very important, holm pls be save and God bless u bye from christopher george ishikaku (nigeria)

August 6, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Cactus

Wait, I cannot fathom it being so straitghforawrd.

October 1, 2011 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
      • Mustapha

ok so no love for kadafi he's been a pain in our asses long enoguh ,ought to go the way of sadam hoozit dead guy! but un, ok I'm not going to swear ,I'm going to be mature and quiet.No ranting but I would however like to ask any older people out there,since when do the freaking frogs(I mean ,um,the french people) beat us to battle? Or maybe no one remembers oh ww2 .And I also find It very ironic that the last time we bombed libiya I seem to recall something about the FRENCH EMBASSY,!

July 24, 2012 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
        • Erick

I say let them all squabble over Libya's oil. I'm tired of dealnig with the Middle East, we loose no matter what we do. Talk about a divide between the Haves and Have Not's, you're either rich or poor in most of these oil rich middle-eastern countries. If Occupy Wall Street protesters want to be seen as sincere, they should go to the middle-east with there class warfare rhetoric. America needs to drill at home for it's oil and work on alternatives gradually.

October 3, 2012 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. Chukwuemeka Nwosu

Hello Holms, thanks for keeping us updated on the conflict in Libya. Can imagine how the rebels would feel if not for your effort and that of other journalists? I know its all at the risk of your lives but, keep it up.

August 9, 2011 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. Kamble

Children learn abuse spoamlece. This is a symptom of bigger problems. Children who are treated with kindness will usually grow up to be a kind person. The corolarry is also true.

February 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Angelika

Raising chlidren to believe they are perfect is a twisted form of abuse, in my book. So is giving them so much for so long that they have no idea how to work toward what they want. Reality works. Boundaries work. Loving affirmation works even better when reflected against these things.Believe in yourself, Carrie, as we believe in you.

February 26, 2012 at 4:01 am | Report abuse |
    • Amisha

It is commendable that Angelina takes on these whotry cause. I am concern as a long time fan ,pre-Brad, that this time she has apparently made a private trip allegedly outside the governance of UNHCR.No doubt she has her body guards but Governments have warned their citizens not to go to Libya in this time of turmoil. I hope that Angelina's advisors and counsellors have researched and made the appropriate risk assessments before using a her celibrity status to focus on what's happening in Libya. Libya is no place for Angelina at this time . I dare say she is putting herself out as a potential kidnap target and a martyr. Her priority should be her 6 children instead of deliberately endangering herself in this war torn country, Certainly the Libyans will not thank her for such sacrifice.Angelina keep being a humanitarian but do not deliberately jeopardise your safety.

July 24, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Ikha

.I saw pictures of their home on E News.It looks beiuaful.I wish I could buy it.I love the way they design it.I'm a Interior Designer and love fixing up houses and Brad and Angelina defintely fine taste.Brad probably did most the work since he likes to that,but I must I'm impress.It show he more than an actor or a pretty face.

August 30, 2012 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |