SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
Taken October 1st 2011 near Sirte, Libya
October 7th, 2011

Through a CNN Producer's Lens: The Battle of Sirte, Libya

CNN Producer Mohammed Tawfeeq took these 22 pictures while he was embedded with anti-Gadhafi fighters as they went into the besieged city of Sirte, Libya. Mohammed, CNN Photographer Charles Miller and Phil Black worked to document the story of the fighters, but also that of the citizens of Sirte who fled the city in droves, piling into cars leaving as fast as they could.

Post by:
Filed under: backstory • journalists • Libya • photography
  1. julio enrique abad ramirez

al general gadafi no le bastaron tantos años de poder ,,,,,,,,......

October 7, 2011 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Williams A. O

What is happening today in Lybia, the use of heavy war weapons by the anti Gaddafi and NATO's is a proof that the war in Lybia is a manufactured war against Lybia for the Lybians. Scores both indigenes and non indigenes died for the unjust war. In the end what happened in Iran and Iraq will be in Lybia – colonialization in the modern time. Can't we tell ourselves the simple truth for God's sake

October 7, 2011 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Tina

Posted on Merely a simling visitant here to share the love (:, btw great design and style . Audacity, more audacity and always audacity. by Georges Jacques Danton.

February 24, 2012 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dr Isaac ILEVBAOJE

How long will Gadhafi continue to destroy his people,nation and homeland!This was the man who came to Nigeria and out of wickedness and mischief said NIGERIA should break up into Christian South and Moslem North.Now he is caught in his own web.

October 7, 2011 at 7:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Williams A. O

Gadhafi in his mind thinks he is fighting the western people ( allied nations ) but the truth is that people are terminated. NATO in their part is not helping to save the lives of those they are to protect. Rather, masacre becomes the rule of the day. Where were the for Gadhafi to escaped?

October 7, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. Photo Caption

Misratah is EAST, not west, of Tripoli.
    Correct the caption on photo number 12, please.

October 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shoeb

TourDeSomewhere on November 3, 2008 Kia is rlelay coming up cheap, powerful and good. This has got to be the one of the best SUVs out of Korea what else is better from Korea?

February 26, 2012 at 5:54 am | Report abuse |
  6. Rouprect

Good job Rebels! I hope you get all that you were after. May your thrive in your new found freedoms. I wish I still had my Gadafi Duck T-Shirt.

October 7, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kishor

Dear Anne -I also ripped out the iclarte in People Magazine tracked down a local training in Washinton DC. I attended a Stewards For Children training this morning. The presenter was Michele Booth Cole, Executive Director of Safe Shores at the DC Childrens Advocacy Center. She facilitated a great training, that had me both concerned and inspired.I am hoping to take it one step further and become a trainer myself for Stewards For Children. I just wanted to say Thank You, Anne for your mission, and for all you are doing to keep children safe. Count me in, to join you on this journey!Sincerely,-Hilary Boboshko, LGSWSilver Spring, Md

March 24, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Toni

AJ November 14, 2011 I really ended up enoijyng this podcast. I usually don't bother with podcasts longer than 20 minutes (short attention span), but I was paying attention to every single second on this one. Please do more like this!

August 28, 2012 at 8:17 am | Report abuse |
  7. gmoney

well done NATO, u've managed to put another middle astern country back 200 years. so u can invest in fixing and get the oil. hope syria is next....

October 7, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sugarland

I we are after their oil, after 10 years why don't we have it? We pay them for their oil. If we take their oil as spoils of war
      gasoline should be $1:00 a gallon. I don't know what our goal is but we should pull out of this mess.

October 9, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Wet

I agree. The back room China oil deal should be stopped. They have also been supplying Ghadaffi with weapons to kill his own people. Sour grapes for Russia! God bless the people of Libya. This is truly a great time in their history!

October 9, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sumit

Linds Posted on my only thought on the color sehcme is Jesus loves His enemies? swell pics, bro very swell. (ps- you should feel special. your blog is pretty much the only one i ever check regularly.)

March 26, 2012 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
      • Danut

Fair point somebody meoitnned this on twitter and I replied: Yeah makes sense- noreply' still seems unimaginative tho. I really just put it in for comic relief, like to end on a funny note So I think better in that case to go with something like what Wufoo has I believe it's something like friendlyrobot@ and if you reply to it, it sends you a friendly message explaining that nobody checks that mailbox, but there is a support desk they can contact.

August 27, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chakir

.He was right about Swan's guff and bluster and the need to ianrecse investment, but the last point will not be improved by his better model. of what a price could be consistent to match avoided damages is just as informative for the long term. We know it will rise with very simple models. If that is allowed to occur, and the productivity commission report shows it is underway, then the economy will transform to one that is outside the parameters of economies described by the current crop of models. The current policy task is to initiate and facilitate that transformation.Models can be useful for understanding carbon price implementation and how transition from a carbon price as a cost to it being embedded in the economy as a social benefit might proceed. Long-term projections should be viewed with great scepticism.

October 3, 2012 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  8. B.

LENS OF TRUTH!!!!!! -.-

October 8, 2011 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Ravaka

Jess,outgassing from the Southern Ocean now looks like it played a big part in the Antarctic-driven wmrniag at the end of the last ice age, though more evidence is needed to be conclusive.I'm interested in non-linear changes in ocean heat content driving wmrniag. The two could be related. And I wouldn't count on waiting too long to see surprises'.

October 29, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  9. kri77ian

October 8, 2011 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  10. ulrich999

Rebel fighters, God is with you. The victory is near. Stay tough!

October 8, 2011 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Vuksan

Manny August 10, 2009 For those who don't know yet about this,this is what i meant in my previous cemnomt.but more people,anywhere in the world had read this article.To the one who made a bad cemnomt about the filipinos,you must read that article a million times good luck!

August 27, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mr.ICAREFORLYBIA

Libyans are very foolish people. Foreign governments/Nato are dropping bombs on your own people and killing your own people and you are jubilating. will America or France drop bombs on their own people? Their people is their strength and they will never do it. They will drop bombs on another country not their own people. With guns in everyone's hand, Now the western people will use your weakness to defeat you... lybians are foolish.

October 8, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Ehab

well you are the most foolish person on the planet you clearly have no idea what we have been through and what gaddafi has put us through and when we protested peacefully he slaughtered us like sheep what are you going to do when you see your people getting killed for practically no reason sit there and sing, i dont think so your going to defend them maybe you wont because you dont have the courage to but we will for a better future for the generations to come and not to be ruled by a mad dog.

October 8, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |
      • Romeo

how do you get everyone to look so hot hoegtter? your images are always sultry and stunning!the last one should be blown big and put somewhere like times square.

March 26, 2012 at 6:01 am | Report abuse |
        • Laila

Johan Liljegren November 13, 2007 Jeff,Great to get some new blog tips! However, the link to Matt Evans' The Admin Exchange is most likely inocrrect, as it is the same as the one to Salesforce Times.My Google karma doesn't give me any tips on where to find it either. Do you have an updated link to it?Regards//Johan

August 27, 2012 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
          • Bhandari

Pablo It's difficult to say with any cetrianty what will happen to the Gulf Stream. I don't think enough is known about the energetics of the meridional overturning to say for sure whether it would or wouldn't reestabish itself in a new regime and what form that might take.I think the biggest change in terms of ocean dynamics will be the worldwide collapse of oceanic ecosystems as we acidify the oceans, killing the smallest carbonate-based lifeforms on which the rest of the food chain depends. Although that might be difficult to spot amongst the overfishing

October 3, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  12. Nila Masagi

How much should you pay for the war are you doing to the country on behalf of sponsor support ? Do you think ab it ?
    Who take tha benefit for what you done !

October 8, 2011 at 10:16 am | Report abuse |
  13. Larry

Some people seem to forget that Gadhafi was murdering his own people who were protesting his rule, vowing to root them out like rats from their own homes, when NATO finally heeded the call of the people and intervened. NATO is there at the request of the vast majority of Libyans, helping them remove a ruthless leader who would not otherwise go. The same is happening in Syria, and so far NATO is reluctant to intervene, because it costs lots of money as well as human lives.

October 8, 2011 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Justina

Considering 2 women a week are killed by parnrets or ex parnrets in this country it was quite shocking to discover that in one year, 1 donkey sanctuary receives more donations than ALL the domestic abuse charities in this country. It's not a soft and cuddly issue so we sweep it under the carpet. Thank you for posting and raising the issue of just how desperately funding is needed.

August 28, 2012 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Mostafa

its a start, and thats a step in the right direction.If the men's prjcoet decides to close its doors because it's not enough (from what I have read on the twit streams) then that's their decision.(about closing its doors)then the funds will need to go to another men or womens survivor help centre.In Winnipeg alone the Laurel Centre has included Help and resources for Male Survivors expanding their services to the Men's resource centre, which is an outstanding, positive move.Personally, if there was no Laurel Centre, I might be not be a survivor- I would be dead.

August 30, 2012 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
      • Luiz

T ~ Thank you so much for sharing your thuothgs and concerns. You have brought up important aspects of the process of healing that I know others have struggled with as well.First, it is important to remember that healing is a process ..typically a very long process. I didn't discuss it in the original post, but, Rheanna's journey took years to get her where she is. Much of that time in and out of therapy as needed and continued practice of the new things she learned. Years of creating and practicing boundary setting and self care were also important aspects of her healing.Secondly, life is a process in itself. Everyone experiences ups and downs, including Rheanna. Although, it is certainly true that some experience many more downs than others. The difference for her and others who are able to move through them is that they have learned and practiced ways of healthy coping for a long enough period of time to know, to fully believe, they will get through whatever difficulty arises.For many, body image issues are not really about the way their body looks. It's more about how they see themselves as a person and how they feel on the inside. The more you believe in yourself, the better you take care of yourself, and the less your sense of self becomes about how you believe others see you.Generally I would say that stuffing it all back in is certainly not the best way to heal anything. If you believe someone has let you down, it might be a good idea to consider speaking to them about it. It's important to recognize your needs and advocate for yourself.

September 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alison

SpinneyBigBird1095 on February 4, 2011 The handoff of Rod from John to Jennifer is like clkoowcrk. It happens in a matter of seconds and it's perfect! Little puppetry tips and tricks is one of the reasons why I LOVE this show!

October 1, 2012 at 7:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Mnouar

Thanks for the comments guys.Doreen, who knows some day we may get as far as Canada! Could be a while tho!!Ray, we'll start with Cork first anwayy hopefully go a bit further a field as time goes by. Haven't played in Tipp before so must see what the scene is like there. Thanks.Lokendra my main work is in Internet Marketing, I supply people with free help and information on generating traffic, list building, copy-writing so on earn money when people purchase my books or products.Mark

October 3, 2012 at 6:15 am | Report abuse |
    • Kamal

Posted on Uf, estuvo muujuy bueno, ahora entiendo un poco me1s como no romperme la cabeza para manadar archivos a imprenta!!!!Entre gre1ficas de color, perfiles y deme1s, nose sacamos dudas y eso!!Muuy bueno.

December 7, 2012 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. Rechard

I have no words to say! Maybe it'll end up with a great tragedy!

October 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sneha

Posted on nice to see it's still tough to make a movie in LA & your still stealing lontiaocs Kai!!! looking good can't wait to see what happens. Stormie

August 28, 2012 at 8:05 am | Report abuse |
  15. clonn

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nv28R8yL_o&w=640&h=390]

this is tragedy why you don´t post this truth
    everybody need to see what happends in Libya

October 9, 2011 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Muhammad

ya es tiempo que acobemas con estos racistas que solo tratan de umillar a la gente por el solo echo de su color o pais de origen estas gentes me dan asco yo soy ciudadano americano y me averguenso de vivir i conpartir mi vida con estas lacras de la sociedad que solo tratan de dividir a la comunidad

August 27, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dhana

I'm not sure what you are suggesting .. they ASSUME you are meneitg all your payments unless someone reports that you missed one .. i.e. the Loan companies (and Banks) only report when you miss a payment

October 1, 2012 at 10:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Laura

I know Bird will never actually get etlceed for anything, but just imagine if he had been successful the last time he stood. Question Time would become even more of a farce, as Birdy would get worked up and abusive and be ejected, they'd get on for a while, then he would return, get worked up and abusive and ejected again, and again and again. Rinse and repeat until the next election.

October 3, 2012 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
      • Hasan

padfoot21 on April 24, 2008 Lol Love [love] and Hate [and hate]. They're like to brothers [brother], who go on a date! The first few times I heard that one it made me laugh or at least make a small chlkuce. Now it still makes me do a small grin everytime I hear it😄

December 5, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. nikon af-s dx nikkor

Thank you for the good writeup. It in truth was once a leisure account it. Glance advanced to far brought agreeable from you! However, how can we keep up a correspondence?

April 6, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adrian

aw3212 on January 7, 2010 I think some credit card comeinaps know that most or certainly a lot of the debt is insolvent just like you're saying. My cards went from 4.99-7.99 to 24.99+ My available credit was reduced to slightly more than the balance. Why? Because I was late no. Because I was over exstended no. The banks are destroying their customers because they know they have all the free money they need from either the gov or the fed reserve. Its not real; its created out of thin air; they dont care

August 28, 2012 at 9:11 am | Report abuse |
  17. Rachel

That's a creative answer to a difficult quetsion

October 1, 2012 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  18. Dario

Nice blog John. Way to go and smart move with the wordpress pick.I am not hainerg much discussion of rail in the stimulus discussions. Seems to me a massive revamp of the US rail system meets a ton of goals and brings us back to the forefront with the rest of the world. Right now Accela is a national embarrassment. I need to be able to do Boston-NYC at 200MPH like a French person can.

October 3, 2012 at 5:41 am | Report abuse |
  19. ofertas a tenerife en pension completa

hello!,I really like your writing so much! percentage we be in contact extra approximately your article on AOL? I need an expert on this area to unravel my problem. May be that's you! Taking a look forward to see you.

April 10, 2013 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |