SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
November 28th, 2011

Mars Rover Launch

On Saturday, a NASA rocket carrying a rover dubbed "Curiosity" started its eight-and-a-half-month journey to Mars.

The rover is scheduled to land on August 6, 2012.

Once it arrives, the rover will collect rocks and soil to see if there are signs of life on the Red Planet.

Our John Zarrella was at Kennedy Space Center in Florida for the launch and sent us this BackStory.

Filed under: backstory • journalists • Science and Technology • Space shuttle • U.S.
  1. yomi

I bet you,there is nothing up there. Mere waste of resources

November 28, 2011 at 11:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tonelok

@yomi
      Think what would have happened if everyone though as you did. The new world wouldn't have been found for probably several hunderds of years, and "America" as you know it wouldn't exist to criticize.
      @donald dee
      NASA space budget is less than 1% of America's overall expenses. The red-cross can contribute more annually than what NASA's funding can do. NASA/Military R&D is also the reason you have the majority of your everyday devices. Every used a GPS? Your welcome. And if God created all around us, why can we not explore it all? We already used up our resources and over-populated this planet, we need to, as a civilization, look for ways to expand our reach.

December 20, 2011 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniel

leyjmers17 on November 7, 2011 @IMissBritneyAlexI Well it ended may 5th and people are still posting their comments, wasn't trying to be offensive, just helpful

February 24, 2012 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sawung

My problem is I don't lcextay know how to get started. What is the first step, and the subsequent steps. While Im trying to understand while reading I think there is too much imformation on what thr individual make instead of how to make the money or even getting started making the money. I need help.

March 26, 2012 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. Cardijn M.

Why all these waste of invention and adventure that are not contributing to humanity. America economy is in perils and yet venturing into millions of dollar project of this nature...Shame.

November 29, 2011 at 12:15 am | Report abuse |
    • David J Geaney

What do you mean "not contributing to humanity?" Do you know how many spinoffs have come from space R&D? People with your mindset are the reason America is stagnating in math and science.

The research that went into MSL is helping our solar capabilities, our communications, and our robotics capabilities.

November 29, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • David J Geaney

Not to mention that it inspires a whole new generation of scientists who may one day fix the problems that you are so concerned with.

November 29, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. donald dee

Human curiousity is not to be confused with stupidity,while everyone is trying to contribute to 'live green' projects you go around and contribute to green house gasess?that's so lame,should have aid da money into feeding africa or some middle east countries,pls.God made man to live on earth and why search for other live on other planets?so discouraged by U.S as a leader in many aspects to act so naive

November 29, 2011 at 3:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

Neopetshelpur on November 7, 2011 Someone mgssaeed me telling me they got too many random events guys, so please don't go crazy with the generator.. they only got a warning tho no ban

February 24, 2012 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  4. well fought for research

it wasnt acctually the rover. there is no rover. it was an anti alien missile, it was supposed to take about two days to hit its target, but once the missile got close to its target, the alien space crafts disappeared suddenly. there is no rover, granted, i probly think there is at least SOME sort of life on mars.. they will probly make a report saying the rover didnt make it due to off calculation or space weather or somthing.
    once aliens do come, reamain calm... dont provoke them untill they make the first move... they are bigger than us. lets just hope they are peacful.

November 29, 2011 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. abayomi stephen

‎​Ȋ̝̊̅ think its a ‎​Ǥσσϑ invention...@ least we will know if we have,neighbours

November 29, 2011 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  6. tunde Lagos

It is good to know what is happening around us,this is part of science and don't forget we might not be planning to attack them please what of, if they are planning to attack us, think twice, this is not a waste of resources we might one day appreciate it, hope is never too late

November 29, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Beto

I prosope not to hold off until you earn big sum of cash to order goods! You can just take the or just student loan and feel free

February 26, 2012 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
      • Priyanka

Posted on Good info. Loose Park is easily the nsiect park in Kansas City, however the Nelson Art gallery/Volker Park is my favorite night time park.For all the guys out there, if you're out on a date, take your girl there and it's in the bag.

March 26, 2012 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  7. Dr. Stefan

‎... but why is CNN unable to dedicate a few seconds of live coverage to the event, which took place 2 minutes after the top of the hour? Where was the "world´s news leader" – where was "Breaking News". Another sign, that CNN has moved from a news leader to a news-entertainment-channel. A global news network has to bring such events live, and it has to have extended news at the top of the hour, not i-reort, connect the world and back story, but real hard live news!

November 29, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • David J Geaney

I agree completely. The mainstream media likes to ignore space, which is a shame

November 30, 2011 at 3:36 am | Report abuse |
      • Lan

bsamkarter on November 6, 2011 Oh well why not give it a shot, there's nothing to lose, so I guess there's everything to win! And cmon who doesn't like sony products!

February 24, 2012 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
      • Chi

cnacivtiongomer on October 20, 2011 I think Saving Private Ryan should be a video game and it would be like world at but much much better. It would be a great first person shooter and it would have more weapons

February 24, 2012 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sobharaj

As much as I am the world's most anti-gun person, I think that vihang a gun is fairly crucial at this moment in NOLA... but why CNN had to obsess over it is ludicrous.

March 26, 2012 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
      • Caroline

Posted on Hello, my name is Alex, i'm a newbie here. I lrlaey do like your resource and lrlaey interested in things you discuss here, also would like to enter your community, hope it is possible:-) Cya around, best regards, Alex!

March 26, 2012 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Chaas

I told my gradnmhoter how you helped. She said, "bake them a cake!"

December 17, 2011 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
      • Mema

that the study is not an iiotcaindn of real world performance. it is quiet, doesn't kill birds and is more efficientt that's not so terrible. BTW, where's your design?

February 26, 2012 at 4:00 am | Report abuse |
    • zzhtiyxpx

NVYe42 wxftpgwvretf

December 18, 2011 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
      • Ruin

TheIthomasscully on September 11, 2011 I kinda wanna bhkcaand you square across the face. You just give off that kinda vibe

February 24, 2012 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Bluegrass

Muriness1 on November 20, 2008 KIA does make good cars, I own a KIA (2004 Kia Optima) and its very ribealle, saves gas and NEVER LEFT ME STRANDED. KIA does not have Toyotas reputation BUT KIA has come a LONG way from what they used to be. and TOYOTA and HONDA started off just like KIA did.

February 26, 2012 at 6:12 am | Report abuse |
        • Angel

I forgot to write my last name, so I am re-posting. I have to take eeipxtcon to CNN International being superior to CNN. When they, the US Govt, and many countries called Honduras' ousting of their corrupt President a coup, I knew they had no idea what a coup was. I live here, it wasn't, and now everyone knows it wasn't. We, here in Honduras, have a new name for CNN ..Chavez News Network.

July 26, 2012 at 6:00 am | Report abuse |
    • mvjejzzasdh

jrclQV ugsvegkeufdi

December 19, 2011 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Auth

cmc033098 on September 19, 2011 Giving away this laoptp because i just got a macbook pro so theres no need for me to have it all you have to do is comment saying GATEWAY FAVORITE LIKE SUBSCRIBE THANKS FOR WATCHING! Category Film Animation

February 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Gladys

DianaCostaaa on November 7, 2011 My firovate food is Spaghetti Bolognese, can eat that all day, and my mom does the best, now i want to eat some, annnnnnnh :3Awesome giveaway btw ????

February 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |