SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
December 4th, 2011

A Piece of Entertainment History, Nearly Lost and Forgotten

This is the site of Walt Disney's first animation studio. To commemorate his birthday, Monday on Back|Story, we will take you there and talk to people who are working to revive this site and preserve history.

Probably the most iconic character in animation history, Mickey Mouse, was created in this old and neglected building in Kansas City, Missouri. It actually used to look much worse, we'll show you those images and many others.  So be sure to watch the show Monday, December 5th.

"Fancy being remembered around the world for the invention of a mouse."
-Walt Disney

Post by:
Filed under: Animation • backstory • Entertainment • U.S.
  1. Lisa Ogas

Mickey Mouse is an American icon,a legend that continues to encompass generations to come.Mr.Disney left behind more than just a lil mouse,he left behind joy beyond his imagination!

December 4, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Macera

theehehe Sydney time btw is Gmt +10.3 Pm your time would make it about 5 AM my time (the next day).this is good, but if we can start one Hour later it will ensure my house is quite ( people have left for work and there will be no bg noise! ).

February 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
      • Naya

I don't know about bcc-ing n-many at a time, but you're right; we might not always be very peinasolrzed in our responses. The point is, it takes a certain amount of effort for someone to send us their application. The courteous thing to do is to respond, and we'll do our best to encourage applicants and show our appreciation.

July 24, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
        • Aya

I agree even though it was one of their own sieallttes it still remains a threat. GPS is the most likely suspect that they would take out if they attacked Taiwan. They can't really take out the Internet since they relied on it as much as we do. And I doubt they will attack us because we still owe them allot of money

August 28, 2012 at 8:40 am | Report abuse |
        • Javier

I agree this was NOT the best format,you didnt rellay get to see anyone actually DEBATE! I also agree that Barac Obama talks way too much,he goes on and on and on!and he is NOT very exciting to listen to.I LOVE Dennis Kucinich he to me is new blood!! not Barac Obama, god he dosent even support gay marriage and gets all of his money from big lobbyists! Ill be honest I do Think Hillary won the debate, but I am for Dennis all the way!

October 3, 2012 at 7:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Antonius

Woah! I'm really lvnoig the template/theme of this blog. It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's difficult to get that perfect balance between user friendliness and appearance. I must say that you've done a great job with this. Additionally, the blog loads extremely quick for me on Chrome. Outstanding Blog!

March 24, 2012 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
  2. Anupam Bharti

Mr. Walt disney by me was the creator of the cartoon world which we all see now without him people would'nt know what the word cartoon means . . .

December 4, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Magun

Only 32% of current ACMA bllksaict is child abuse material Actually this is completely incorrect 32% may be _'alleged'_ child abuse content but it is not confirmed (the ACMA list is all alleged, almost none of it has actually been classified by the Classifications Board). Many people have seen the URLs on the list and it seems like the actual' illegal content is closer to 5% than to 32%.

July 26, 2012 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. shakespeare

Mickey isnt an american hero global @ least...

December 4, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ateng

Stasha, I read your coenmmt right after I woke up this morning, and it got my day started just right. Thank you for your kind words and your constant encouragement. Happy Thanksgiving, friend.

February 24, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ivy

I am very interested and feqliaiud for this position. Please kindly consider me very seriously. I am one person that loves to learn and work and provide online customer support. I am also bilingual, speaking fluent Spanish-English. I've had over 7 years of providing great quality customer service work.

March 26, 2012 at 5:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Mikeias

The powers that pull the stnrgis of the Democrat party seem to favor Obama at this point. He gets much more face time than he deserves. He is also getting much more money than his novice candidacy deserves. I'm sure the Clinton, battle forces are gearing up for a death match in the near future. I predict that Obama will go down in flames under a withering Clinton, full frontal attack. About the same time, Al Gore, the high priest of global warming, will step in to save the Democrat party from Mrs Clinton's socialistic predilections. It will be a mad race to the finish line from there and possibly mutual destruction of both candidates as they desperately try to hammer each other into submission. WOW! What a preview. I can't wait for the movie.

October 3, 2012 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |