SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
December 16th, 2011

Actor Christian Bale, CNN crew roughed up trying to visit Chinese activist

In China, after he finished shooting his new movie "Flowers of War", actor Christian Bale traveled with a CNN crew to visit Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng.   The "Batman" actor said he admired and wanted to meet Chen, a blind self-taught lawyer who has spoken out against China's One Child policy and forced sterilizations.  Chen and his family have been under house arrest in their Shandong Province village for some time now, but as recently as last week, the government had apparently eased restrictions on the Chen family allowing them to receive a delivery of medicine, and permitting his 70-year-old mother to go out and get groceries.

When Bale and the CNN crew tried to enter Chen's village, a group of unidentified men stopped them and forced them to leave.  See a full report on the altercation HERE.

John Vause spoke with Christian Bale about his experience.  (See that above)

For updates on these and other stories, "like" Back|Story on Facebook and "follow" us on twitter

Filed under: asia • backstory • China • Entertainment • John Vause • journalists • Stan Grant
  1. Cindy

Pretty brave of him and the CNN crew. I have a whole new respect for him.

December 16, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Bobby Dale

His actions are admirable, but the timing, so close to votes for Academy Awards, are suspect. Mr Bale or his movie will win an Oscar simply so that he can raise the cause of Chen Guangcheng in the acceptance speech. It casts doubt on the award. Oh well, this is what we come to expect.

December 16, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charles Branson

You mean this is what you came here to speculate...$20 bucks says you're american!

December 16, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Report abuse |
      • Tim Nalloran

Don't speak about Americans like that. Who the heck cares if this guy likes TV awards, don't universalize his statement you pompous imbecile.

December 17, 2011 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
        • Bobby Dale

Have never watched a TV, Music or Movie awards show, just a dumb, cynical bumpkin who has learned not to trust the media.

January 4, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
          • Ghasem

shea August 3, 2010 ayoko na sa'yo bad ka.. hehe.. joke lang ok lang yan.. atleast naabsi mo sa kanya yung dapat mong sabihin atpangonsensya ginagawa niya lang trabaho niya ano ka ba? bigyan mo siya ng chocolate at kausapin ng mahinahon at say sorry.. hehe..lam ko na kung san ka nakatira nyahaha wag ka mag alala di kita haharangin para itanong kung nasan ang id mo at anong room no. tatanong ko na lang kay manong guard.. nyahaha

July 26, 2012 at 8:15 am | Report abuse |
        • Leticia

I'm not a bit surprised by this. Not in the least. It's the lame satrem media who's misinformed (mal-informed), out of touch, misguided, Based on their behavior of recent years, I have to say misanthropic.The media's real job is to make money for their employer in order to remain employed. We all know good news does not sell. Neither does living a harmonious life. Hence, they're running around like a bunch of sharks with untreated ADHD.In their hearts, they must know the US would be much better off had Obama not been elected. They'll eventually turn on him, but only with a GOP opponent whose behavior they can anticipate and look to them for guidance.Frankly, there isn't a republican candidate who fits their bill, so they keep the heat on them all so voters won't coalesce behind any particular candidate.The sad part is this could have been Steve Forbes' year.

July 24, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
        • Zoe

♥*~$h@Rp!E~*♥ Posted on umm maybe like jazzy or J.J as the names and + vampires are real peploe with health disorders and they kinda don't drink blood but they do use donations and stuff to keep living ok well i hope that helped.

August 30, 2012 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Alma

hahaha 那么多姓 闫的。。好!but I have one question, do you nocite after MVP awards, most experts tend to go missing in action only few still hang around in newsgroups.

May 10, 2012 at 5:10 am | Report abuse |
      • Edward

Posted on nice anyone aenindttg the Baltimore con this weekend, these are the ideal item to print out and leave randomly on tables, chairs, bits of empty floor, etc

July 24, 2012 at 6:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Vitoria

1. Apa virtual set terbesut bisa di tampilkan secara live (realtime) bukan tapping??2. Apa saja hardware yang diperlukan utk menghubungkan kamera ke Komputer dan untuk output Video Out ??3. Dapatkan virtual set terbesut di konfiguasikan ke Komputer Pre Production (Globe Caster 8000) ??4. bisakah saya mendapatkan sample sebagai contoh??Makasih sebelumnya

May 12, 2012 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
      • Nadia

finya October 25, 2011 Awts this is so nice I so love this.. nakaka retlae ako.. I have a similar experience with my best friend since elementary.. hahaha we fought and we didn't talk for two years (junior and senior year in HS).. I thought that's the end of it.. but suddenly the latter part of senior year we are on speaking terms again as if nothing happened.. and luckily we are already enjoying 13 years of friendship and counting! Fighting is a test of friendship pag na overcome niyo yun you gain a friend for life. :p

July 26, 2012 at 8:11 am | Report abuse |
      • Geovannah

Erik July 28, 2011 If there weren’t twenty other guys in the Match.com queue This will alywas be the case. It doesn't mean they're actually quality guys. That's also kind of the problem with online dating in the back of your mind you're alywas thinking, no worries, there's alywas what's-his-name next . So, the person you're currently seeing never gets the attention he might deserve, and often times, it's your loss.Even with online communication, it's still basically window shopping until meet and get to the know the person.

August 28, 2012 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  3. kungyal

I praise for his thoughts & care for the helpless people who fights for their basic human rights. He is true hero off & on screen. Free China from CCP

December 16, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Suzi

Neat blog! Is your theme custom made or did you doloanwd it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog stand out. Please let me know where you got your theme. Kudos

June 16, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. @Bark_CheekMark

I am always proud to be a Chinese, but today I feel very embarrassed to be one. I know many Chinese youths call themselves from “West Korea” (compare to N. Korea) on their Twitter account. I can feel their pain now.

December 17, 2011 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Alban

U nas v TJK est tri zavoda1. Plastikovy zavod2.Alimin Zavod3.Electrony( on ili zavod ili shto vrode etogo)Razve ne mogli ih soarbt zdes u nas? ved specialisti est nujno nashix poderjivat.

May 9, 2012 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Agaba emma

Dont talk about AMERICAN SON like dat his actions are compereble but the timing, so close 2 votes that academy awards are suspect. Mr Bale or his movie will win an ascar simply so that he can raise da couse of chen guangcheng in accptence speech. Casts doubt on the award. That's wt i expect.thx

December 17, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Transmission 6-10

This story, unfortunately, is just the tip of the iceberg. Another prominent Human Rights lawyer, Gao Zhisheng, has endured years of surveillance, house arrest, illegal detention and torture. An earlier post was deleted (assumed as promotions it is guessed). If you want to know more on his story and others – which has been suppressed for over a decade – look up the above user name.

December 19, 2011 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  7. Chao

I know not many Chinese native here. And let me give you some idea from a Chinese perspective. How would you feel some Chinese get into your house and yield at you with some Chinese word that you don't understand? You might already point at his head with your gun, right? That what I feel from this video. You rush in without any permission. Please do understand in some area in China, people consider the whole village as a comunity or "family", they are just protecting themselves especially in this specicial time for the village. Don't argue with me as long as you has live in China for more than 10 years.

December 19, 2011 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Transmission 6-10

Although I have not lived in China for 10 years (I did, however, live in Hong Kong for 17 – but the two countries and people are very different), there are millions of people from China who now reside in the west (perhaps such as yourself). The Human Rights for China movement is guided by them and their knowledge of Mainland China. Westerners do not just simply invent an opinion of China under CCP rule...the opinion is given to them by those who have suffered there.
      This instance with Christian Bale is clearly exactly how it seems. The lawyer he tried to visit is under house arrest – everyone knows that – and he is kept there by guards, not by his fellow villagers. These guards did their job. They would be severely reprimanded if they did not. Even in a small Chinese village, turning up with a video camera is hardly threatening, nor invasive. Chinese people, especially rural dwellers, are incredibly friendly and welcoming. The aggression came from those who were entrusted to maintain CCP control in that area.
      Many Mainland Chinese citizens are either unaware of the atrocities that take place in their great nation, or, are too afraid to admit it (I haven't made that up...it comes from years and years of research and conversations with Mainland Chinese – whom I admire deeply). I don't believe that Western governments care for a second about the Chinese people (I don't believe they care about their own people either)...but those who work with them in the field of Human Rights genuinely do...and they want to help.

December 20, 2011 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Unfold

I happen to be one that have lived in China for over 20 years, born and raised. Chen is under house arrest and the whole village is actually fed on this "business". They are paid for keeping one of their "family" away from the rest of the world and the number the authority that is willing to pay for this does not have a limit. That's all.
      Please do understand for most of my foreign friends who visited less developed areas of China unaccompanied, they were welcomed and this is what's normal instead of the way that Bale has been treated. In many other cases, I agree that the camara of westners have not been always fair to China, but there is no reason to fool ourselves in this case. It is what it looks like.

December 22, 2011 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Laia

I think the U.S will be able to ipromt cars to China for sale, however I don't foresee Chinese cars being a hit in America. I can't think of any Chinese brands now that are being sold in the U.S.

February 26, 2012 at 3:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Mayo

这个也用过, 点击测试就会有啥提示 一长串代码错误啥的。。。你也是win主机么? 我一点测试邮件就是An error was encountered while trynig to send the test e-mail.SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host.Failed to connect to serverUnable to find the socket transport "ssl" – did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?这个代码。。。我专门注册gmail邮箱也这样。。。

May 9, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
      • Vedat

I heard it on radio and called hubby who was bsulsfilly sleeping to turn on the TV. He saw the scene, thinking it was some freak accident by a private jet, went back to sleep!!!I had to call him three more times before he actually comprehended the whole scenario. I reached office, people were in a frenzy. People I had never spoken to expressed concern in the parking lot. We rushed to the office to catch a glimpse on TV. It was shocking to say the least.My first thought went to my friends who worked in the WTC. One guy narrowly escaped (jumped from the ground floor window and ran for his life), while my other friend's laziness saved her. She was late to work. Even now she cries thinking of that day when she lost many of her colleagues.My uncle and aunt who were sight seeing in Washington DC saw the flight crash in the Pentagon when they were taking a tour of the Whitehouse. Uncle took pictures!!My whole day went by trying to call my friends in NY & DC. It was terrible.

August 27, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Report abuse |
      • Enoch

Chop281Shop on April 18, 2010 Installed mine yesterday. It's arhgit. I may change my mind when wireless television monitors are released to receive the sling signal. As for now there are too many bugs. I used a 722 to run one television because I was contemplating wiring a spare bedroom. Using it for one television gave me a lot of versatility. I could have easily waited for that skinny sling dish is going to release and saved myself the $200 plus additional increased monthly rental fee.

August 30, 2012 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
  9. Wholesale Products Website

I like the helpful information you supply to your articles. I will bookmark your blog and test once more right here frequently. I'm quite sure I'll be informed plenty of new stuff proper right here! Best of luck for the next!

July 25, 2012 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  10. thiet ke web tai hanoi

Thanks for every other informative blog. Where else may I am getting that type of information written in such a perfect approach? I've a challenge that I'm simply now operating on, and I have been on the look out for such info.

July 28, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Gamze

Posted on Dan on April 6th, 2009 at 12:42 pm:To many, including Winston Churchill, the British Empire was a great force for good. To an unpropessessing Indian lawyer, the British Empire, which saw itself at the bastion of liberty, was evil, for it rested on a lie. It denied to many of its subjects the very equality that was the essence of freedom. But no less evil for Mohandas Gandhi would be the use of force to overthrow it and gain independence for India. Drawing on the traditions of Indian thought and reading the e2€œBhagavad Gitae2€9d daily, Gandhi made his own path. Strong in the truth, he used moral power to bring a great power to its knees. His autobiography eschews many of the traditional elements in a life story. Gandhi focuses on his entire life as a search for truth, teaching us that there are many roads to wisdom and many ways to fight the battles of life. He teaches us to be true to ourselves, do what you know to be right, and never give up.

October 31, 2012 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. Photoshop Filters

Thank you for every other great article. The place else could anyone get that type of information in such a perfect manner of writing? I've a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the search for such info.

July 29, 2012 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
  12. Traitement cancer

Thank you for the good writeup. It in reality was once a entertainment account it. Look advanced to far introduced agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?

September 25, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |