SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
December 16th, 2011

Reflections on the Iraq War

After nearly nine years in Iraq, the United States military is packing up its gear and bringing its troops home.  The U.S. says the war is over, and Iraq is now a stable, sovereign country.  If you ask Iraqis how they feel after almost nine years of occupation, the answer is not so cut and dry.

Arwa Damon and Michael Holmes have been covering the war since the beginning.  John Vause talked with them to help put it all in perspective.

For updates on these and other stories, "like" Back|Story on facebook and "follow" us on twitter

Check out this link to see some pictures from Michael Holmes after he recently visited a camp for displaced people in Taji, Iraq.

Filed under: Arab World • Arwa Damon • backstory • Interviews • Iraq • Iraq War • John Vause • journalists • Michael Holmes • U.S.
  1. hilary

well done the soldiers for bringing peace to a nation which had gone down economically

December 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ahmad

She cant pssiobly say anything positive about the progress in Iraq or Afghanistan, for if she did it would completely contradict her stated positions. Take her or Cantwell seriously???? Ha! Cant take them anywhere...LOL besides who would want to?? LOL again.Cantwell, Murray and Baghdad Jim, our own NW 3 stooges.Damn liberal voters of WA, you get what you asked for, it is a shame you are damaging the rest of the good people in the NW.

February 26, 2012 at 3:42 am | Report abuse |
      • Ezequiel

Well he did that by ditching his Blackberry, I magenad that by doing the following things:- No sound for new mail- Mobile phone set to silent- Work phone set to a very low but noticeable levelI discovered that ring tone of my mobile and the ringing of my work phone irritated me a lot when I was coding. So, silencing the former (actually to just one beep) and lowering the level of the later, gave me my keyboard back plus some KLOCs to my employer.

July 24, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
        • Jovany

Joaquedn: yo ni sabeda en que9 estaba la discsuif3n a esa hora y tambie9n me entere9 de todo por Twitter salvo el voto de Cobos que fui directo a la TV es un punto de salida!

September 30, 2012 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Dennis Ndeto

I always believed in the U.S foreign interventions, even militarily! Even though a few things may go wrong, their intentions are good. BRAVO soldiers!

December 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kassandra

Good point, Ades!There are several reoanss I always include my company site URL in my signature:1. My name is associated with my business.2. My client might have forgot my business' URL.3. My client have to have an easy and immediate access to my site.ZoltanRespiroMedia.com

July 26, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dennis Ndeto

Mungu awabariki sana,soldiers!

December 17, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rembert

Who would have imagined in 1952 that some 30-40 years on, South Korea would be maurfactnuing and exporting cars? Iraq will go from a net importer of terrorists to an exporter of what in 20-40 years? Certainly food. Brainpower perhaps?

March 26, 2012 at 6:03 am | Report abuse |
  4. Samuel Lukibisi

Bravoo! US soldiers may God bless you and your families.

December 18, 2011 at 3:56 am | Report abuse |
    • Liezel

Dearest Sarah,I've missed you! It's letrxmeey late and I'm having a problem getting to sleep. I wanted to let you know that I haven't been on my dear friend's blog sites in a week or two until tonight. My husband has been ill and still is, so I've been posting about him on my site and updating everyone there. It's been stressful and exhausting to say the least, but I wanted to stop by to at least say hello.I'm so happy that your sister is finally coming home. I deeply love and respect those who serve to defend our country. I hope that your family is able to make it to the homecoming for her!Again, I wanted to stop in and see what's been happening. I don't know when I'll be back on again, hopefully soon...depending on what the following days hold with my husband Ron.I love you dear one,Alleluiabelle

March 24, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. isaam ahmad

What you did to muslim in iraq is not acceptable though you have power.first you destroyed their country which was strong economically by saying and lying about mass destruction weaponnow they are poor you abuse them phisically

December 18, 2011 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. Wycliffe Otieno

Congratulation US-MA- RINES 4 Sterling work U done in IRAK. Now, we hope people of Iraq 2 maintain PEACE LOVE N UNITY. GOD BLESS AMERICAN N DE WORLD.SHUKRANI.

December 18, 2011 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Dong

He's following orerds. He should have a conscience. Does he have one or is he just schizophrenic?I guess its all cheap momentary talk.He was already advisor of Ray-Gun in the 80s+should we forget the embarrassing Iran-Contra affair 1985-1987?Ooops,suddenly Reagan knew nothing anymore.Scapegoat Oliver North in a book after Reaganb4s death: He knew everything by frequent briefings+agreed with almost everything,enthusiasticly. Transfer of arms to Iran+support of Saddam,ouch.

July 24, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  7. hamza musa

It is unfortunate that the world leader {U.S} is artificially creating war all round the world, thereby increasing death toll and deliberately reducing the escalating world population to meet desired goal that isn't for the benefit of humanity.

December 27, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dilpreet

Don't worry, it won't be long bfoere Dave Ross will be echoing another dim bulb. Alan Colmes thought it possible some (if not many) Iraqis were coerced into voting or else their food would be taken away. Libs have got an answer for everything. Of course it's silly to think that the Iraqis might want their own freedom. Sheesh!

February 24, 2012 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Remi

'Loon' here. As ?elite? and quasi-intellectual the King County labirel majority may be, all that Osama Mama?s re-election shows to the rest of the country is that (all?) Washingtonians have more faith in tennis shoes and lack of leadership, rather than basic intelligence and true leadership. I would say the same about Baghdad Jimbo too.It?s Quite a testament, don't you think? Hmm. King County, we are SOOO hip, cool and "progressive". We know better than you and have it figured out for you ?Simpletons? = conservatives. That's why we are taking your land, your money and your guns.Yeah, STUFF it already.

February 26, 2012 at 5:20 am | Report abuse |
      • Livia

What wonderful news! I, too, will be womielcng back a sister on June 2nd! My sister has been attending school in Spain for the better part of the past two years and I could not be happier to finally have her home again. I will be thinking of you and your family as I shower my sister with love and hugs, knowing that you are doing the same!

March 26, 2012 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
        • Junior

Baron,Obviously, CNN doesn't know the difference beteewn terrorists and guerrillas. Terrorist primarily attack civlian targets, while guerrillas use hit and run attacks against military forces. Hezbollah is considered a terrorist organization by tthe United States, United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada. Hezbollah primarily attacks civilian targets with suicide bombers and rockets. Much of the time, their Isaeli victims are targeted not because they are threats, but because they are viewed as "animals , specifically pigs and monkeys. Israeli civilian suffering accomplishes Hezbollah's goal of instilling fear to accomplish their goal of eliminating Israel. Hezbollah makes no attempt to reduce civilian casualties.Hezbollah is a terrorist organization. CNN is spreading Hezbollah propaganda.

July 24, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Arrow

OG,As Snake Oil pointed out. Sarcasm and satrie are hard to tell from reality these days.I never liked Pat and I think American Imperialism is a good thing.

July 24, 2012 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
      • Point

Posted on Webmaster, I am the admin at . We profile SEO Plugins for WordPress blogs for on-site and off-site SEO. I'd like to intvie you to check out our recent profile for a pretty amazing plugin which can double or triple traffic for a Worpdress blog. You can delete this comment, I didn't want to comment on your blog, just wanted to drop you a personal message. Thanks, Rich

October 3, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. Hasan

Thank you, Tracie! What a wfuoerdnl job you've done for this edition and raising awareness for Child Abuse Awareness month. I'm just getting around to read and comment on the submissions. But, better late than never, huh? ;PI hope you are well. I miss you and the blogosphere.

February 26, 2012 at 5:34 am | Report abuse |
  9. Ad_emb

Don't think only of your own country like doing the demostration of occupying Wall Street. All of people must appeal the evil of Government all about invision war of Iraq, to apologize to. In oerder to do it, you should make freedom of speech in progression little by little to build the true democracy. I will hope that you will know that it is important even being Government in your ways. And it is also importnant of making it funny for people to have a fun for it.My website, searching“midemosite” or "hecksite"

April 25, 2012 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. Nceba

the world is a dangerous place, trroer will always exist. it's easier to be like france, china, or any of those countries that just don't give a damn about others suffering. but not america, we care we take actions even if it hurts we shape the world for the bigger picture, freedom that people in most opress countries can only dream about. selfish people are cowards and limited. but america is not like that, thats why we are the most hated in the world!

July 24, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sukhdev

Posted on Great article. It is rahetr unfortunate that over the last decade, the travel industry has already been able to to deal with terrorism, SARS, tsunamis, influenza, swine flu, along with the first ever true global economic collapse. Through everything the industry has proven to be strong, resilient in addition to dynamic, discovering new tips on how to deal with difficulty. There are always fresh troubles and the possiblility to which the sector must just as before adapt and react.

October 3, 2012 at 6:02 am | Report abuse |