SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
December 20th, 2011

Giving a Voice to Abused Women

Raped, beaten and abused. Afghan women have suffered in silence for years. But a television show called "The Mask" is finally giving them the opportunity to speak out. Producer Sami Mahdi first introduced "The Mask" last year. On the show, women wear masks to conceal their identity as they talk openly about the injustices they've suffered. CNN's Arwa Damon took us behind the scenes of the show earlier this year.

A few weeks ago, we touched base again with producer Sami Mahdi to find out what the show has achieved over the last year.

And now to another story of injustice that played out recently in Afghanistan. A woman named Gulnaz was imprisoned for adultery after a married relative raped her. She was recently pardoned by Afghan President Hamid Karzai. Gulnaz talked about her heartbreaking ordeal with our Nick Paton Walsh from a safe house in Afghanistan.

Filed under: Afghanistan • Arwa Damon • asia • backstory • Interviews • journalists • Uncategorized
  1. Pharmd490

Hello! eacedbd interesting eacedbd site! I'm really like it! Very, very eacedbd good!

December 21, 2011 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Pharma989

Hello! ffaekdd interesting ffaekdd site! I'm really like it! Very, very ffaekdd good!

December 21, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
    • Jadielson

Ich bin bereits seit 2007 Besitzer eines Acer LCD TV und bin immer noch sehr eizrufden. Mit 32“ finde ich die Grf6dfe des TVs nach wie vor eizrufdenstellend. Bei der Geschwindigkeit welche die Gere4tehersteller vorlegen kf6nnte man sich aber ste4ndig ein neues TV Gere4t kaufen.

March 26, 2012 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |
    • lola

Catherine,I am writing to ask a favor I'm trnyig to separate my real name (Carolyn C. I don't want to say the rest) from the name I use as a blogger and writer. It's a long story, but I have professional clients google me, and I don't want them in my creative business. Anyway, I left a comment on your blog on:Friday.November 2, 2007 b7 4 CommentsWith my REAL last name, which I won't repeat here, but it's the only Carolyn of those 4 comments. is there a way you could delete that or make me Carolyn Jean, which is the name I use in blogland? I would sure appreciate it. Thanks!

July 24, 2012 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Pharmd362

Very nice site!

December 21, 2011 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. Richbe

I can never tell when you are kniddig and when you are serious! I hope you are kniddig of course. Just in case you are not: how dare you insult Guthrie and compare him to this nitwit boat captain!;-)

February 24, 2012 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. Maira

we are stuck here! Heredity has taken over and I'm ready to tell Heredity that we have a slim athletic side to our genes! I feel your book would give us sotnmhieg positive to focus on as we step up to the challenge of changing our eating and moving lifestyle! Thanks for the opportunity, Peace, Jamie

March 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Febrio

Thanks, CAM, that explains a lot one of my faotrive activities is people watching. My husband's an Aries and my best mate (he's Australian.) We love to sit in the corner table at Subway and watch the locals. What time is the workshop in the morning? I want to make sure I don't miss a minute! BTW I will most likely miss most if not all on Tuesday. I have an urgent medical appointment that I can't miss. Ingrid

August 27, 2012 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |