SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
December 22nd, 2011

The Death Toll from Tropical Storm Washi soars in the Philippines

The Philippines is burying its dead and struggling to recover. Tropical storm Washi (known locally as Sendong) hit the southern portion of the country over the weekend, killing more than a thousand people and leaving thousands more homeless.  The storm triggered flash floods and sent massive logs down hillsides, which flattened everything in their path. There’s speculation that illegal logging contributed to the devastation.

Back|Story producers Chris and Nadia talked to Mari Ramos and Taylor at the CNN World Weather Center about the storm’s path and why it did so much damage.

You can get updates on these and other stories by "following" Back|Story on twitter and clicking "like" on our facebook page.

Filed under: asia • backstory • Interviews • journalists • Philippines • Science and Technology • weather
  1. Kingsley okwudishu

Please let all the nations contiune to pray for this country i belive in prayer, also lets us support them with all we have.it can happen to any country.the Government, all the nations should contribute to the homeless and also to the people who lost there young ones and relative. please the people need helps, GOD bless all as you help.

December 22, 2011 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
    • satuss

Hello,hi as i do ssrhieh your fine blog, I would enjoy if you allow me to write a multimedia review about your incredible wordpress blog on my own would you allow me that?

February 24, 2012 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. iluezi ogbaudu

It is sad to see such great loss. We pray other Nations will begin to think and carry out re-afforestation programmes so as to avoid disasters such as this IJN.

December 22, 2011 at 5:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. Eddy

Iam sorry to them & i ask them to trust in God more and pray to He always. THANKS MANAGEMENT.

December 22, 2011 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Agung

If you are the viitcm, any crime is a hate crime. After all, have you ever been the viitcm of a love crime or a respect crime?It goes without saying that crimes against people convey hate, disrespect and intolerance. Interestingly, it seems to be the folks who claim to promote tolerance who are the least tolerant of any point of view that differs from their own. Political zeal is not an excuse for poor behavior. Personal behavior by any individual carries with it personal responsibility for the consequences.

August 27, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Francis Edet Ita

Big sorry for those who's loss their lifes.I pray that may God grant their family's the grace to bear the grant loss of their loveone's.

December 22, 2011 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Ruth

I think it is too early to draw any cisulcnoons. IMO the loss of Firefox is due to its users trying out Chrome after it was launched, just to see how it worked. No more than that.

February 24, 2012 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Kudakwashe

Kami nga dito ng kapatid ko, fenlieg nila orange chicken lang kinakain namin. Haha. Chura nilang mga judgmental sila. Kapag asa bus kami may mga Mexikanong magsasabi ng orange chicken! orange chicken! chinese! chinese!

August 28, 2012 at 2:04 am | Report abuse |
  6. Richmond

To fight marawle and phishing attempts, Chrome is constantly downloading lists of harmful sites. Google also promises that whatever runs in a tab is sandboxed so that it won?t affect your machine and can be safely closed. Plugins the user installed may escape this security model, Google admits.

February 26, 2012 at 3:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Itumeleng

yes they can, they are in crowd control mode; if the crowd is being unulry and the person they push back isn't facing the other way then they assume they are the ones causing problem's hey keep the video's coming as what i've seen the police are correct so far, so more video from different angles will prove police have been correct! VA:F [1.9.9_1125]please wait...VA:F [1.9.9_1125](from 0 votes)

July 24, 2012 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
      • Danish

21eI just stop by to make you aware I love your page and I enjoy reading it. I'm glad that my bhtroer Sent me the link to your page. I just bookmarked this blog and I hope your next one is going to be about the same jubject again I'm looking for ward to it. One thing I must add is I don't know where you getting your information from but you are doing a good job.

August 27, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jandie

he hadn't thought of cctoenning the ID issue with Kuhn, I hadn't thought about Dilbertian parallels to the way various researchers' conclusions evolve into Everybody Knows An intriguing wrinkle!And it's interesting to see how many comments are of the I've just lost all respect for you, sir kind. (I trust that, with his experience in this Dilbertian society, he's able to let them slide off his back.) Me, I'm all for light over heat e2€” and I'm amazed at the heat that this issue has generated, most of it from the Sciencen) side. More and more I'm convinced that Kuhn was right on the money here. With the added factor that when some people start thinking about a Designer, they also start thinking about Accountability, and fight the idea tooth and nail.

May 9, 2012 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Sylvia

Awesome posting man, I icbredinly like the look and also the feel of this kind of blogging site. You write certainly well, you just need to be a aware guy. Will undoubtedly come back

August 30, 2012 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  8. Jen

Capture and torture are only some US gneornmvet practices. US tax payers not only help continue it by way of ignorance and tax money, many of them enjoy it in other ways as well. Like through TV programs, video games and etc. Anything that helps promote and continue fear, hate, greed, lust, ignorance seems normal for closed mind heart majority. An ancient psychological recycling of teaching prisoners to continue being prisoners and masters to continue mastering. U R Change.VA:F [1.9.9_1125]please wait...VA:F [1.9.9_1125](from 0 votes)

July 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm | Report abuse |