SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
Religious Extremism in Israel
December 29th, 2011

Religious Extremism in Israel

An ultra-Orthodox man has been arrested and charged with sexual harassment in Jerusalem. Moshe Fuchs allegedly called a 19-year-old female Israeli soldier a "prostitute" and a gentile when she refused to move to the back of a segregated bus earlier this week. The incident highlights the simmering debate over gender segregation playing out in Israel right now. We addressed the issue and the face-off between ultra-Orthodox Jews and more moderate religious Jews during Thursday's show.

Take A Look:

CNN's Kevin Flower reports on the situation playing out in Beit Shemesh:

Rabbi Dov Lipman leads a protest against religious extremism in the Israeli city of Beit Shemesh:

Post by:
Filed under: backstory • Israel • Religion
  1. Moore michael

An extrimist in jews land infact it sound so funny to me,anyway nothing is new.

December 29, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • svega

Aren't they supposed to be waiting for their bridegrrom, the Messiah? Doesn't Scripture warn about the 7 brides who idled their time in wait for their bridegroom?

December 29, 2011 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Eusebio Manuel Vestias Pecurto

Onde é que se já viu a religião a metersse na politica é uma vergonha eu não escrevo mais bom ano de 2012 para o vosso canal

December 29, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Khasan

parodax of a good God and a world filled with evil . The Orthodox Jew might be asked to provide evidence for the ten plagues of Egypt, while the Hindu is challenged

February 24, 2012 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. R

My first reaction to the jews harassing women: Why is the mother forcing her to live in that area? The mother is, in my opinion, really naive and doesn't realise how traumatic it is for the rest of the child's life to see these bizarre men.

Speaking of which: Why is the mother staying there?
    Does she not think they have already by now talked of murdering them??

It's so highly probable that they will do anything – including murder that, I don't understand why the israeli government or any government doesn't ban them by now.

These types of men are not normal.

December 29, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. svega

How is this behavior and extremism any different or at least bordering on the periphery of radical Islam? Why aren't more people outraged by this. The young mother and her daughter should NOT have to relocate just to be free from taunts! That is like caving in and relenting to terrorism! You ask why is she staying there? Perhaps her husband's employment is there! Perhaps she believes that since AMERICANS are so utterly pro-Israel that she would not be harmed. How much money do we send Israel annually. Sounds like a small voice (10%) are on their way to creating a fanatical cult much like the fundamental Muslims did years ago. Religion without God is EVIL.

December 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thinker23

A person right to live in his/her home in his/her country has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with Americans being "utterly pro-Israel" or the US government sending military aid to Israel. Further, the main difference between the Jewish fanatics and their Muslim counterparts is that the Jews DO NOT KILL ANYONE while the Muslims try to kill as many people as possible. Still further, I'm not sure what you call "an EVIL religion without God" but I can assure you that the Ultra-Orthodox Jews are VERY FAR from being Atheists.

December 29, 2011 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
      • svega

You are obviously an Israeli sympathizer but I do NOT sympathize with behavior in the name of GOD. It is EVIL and noticed that I said that these Jews are bordering on the periphery of Islamic extremism. It starts SOMEWHERE. It cannot be condoned or swept under the rug JUST because it is their legalistic, dogmatic strictures of religious code. You are right. They are NOT atheists, HOWEVER, neither are they representing GOD!! Believing in God and justifying your own biases and principles onto others is NOT something God ever would approve. Remember the Crusades????? All are guilty for harming, maiming, hurting, humiliating, etc. in the name of GOD.

December 29, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Report abuse |
        • tonyguy01

@svega
          No response to Thinker 23's comment regarding the fact that "radical" Jews don't murder in the name of their faith. Their is a profound difference between a misguided Jew calling a woman a name and the universal Muslim principal that the fate of all infidels (non-believers) can only be 1.conversion, 2.enslavement, or 3.death. Your moral relativism is showing.

December 30, 2011 at 4:34 am | Report abuse |
        • Thinker23

@

December 30, 2011 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
        • Thinker23

Svega... WHAT makes YOU to believe that YOU know God's intentions better than all Islamic, Christian and Jewish preachers combined? ...and we're not discussing Crusaders and their actions here. We're discussing religious Jews and Muslim extremists and your claim that the two did not differ from each other.

December 30, 2011 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
          • svega

@ Tony and Thinker......a "misguided Jew"????? Are you serious????? She was a child! She is a second grader! That does not bespeak "misguided" in any sense. Quite and understatement! And I don't "presume" God's intentions unless of course you are implying that God does intend for religious factions to hate others. That is not the God most of us believe in. Do you really think God intends for people to use his name to carry out hate in any form at all, whether it is killing, spitting, yelling, accosting??? If that is the God you believe in then we are all doomed. The fact of the matter is that I cannot believe or endorse any dogmatic system of religion that uses God to carry out hate. Is that presumption on my part? Maybe to you....but then maybe you condone this sort of "misguided" behavior. Moreover, I never said I KNEW God's intentions but I AM human and as such, I cannot fathom using God or religion to hurt someone. That is just common sense. ANd if you read your Bible you actually CAN decipher God's intentions so your statement was illogical. Don't you think God INTENDS for us to know him? Don't you think God condemns acts of hatred and hurt? Sorry, but I know there are very good people in all faiths, but these extremists have a tendency to grow with fervor. In the end, Jesus said the greatest commandment was to love our God with all our hearts, souls, and minds? And to love our neighbors as we would want them to love us? Organized religion seems to forget this. I don't mean to offend Jews per se. I am outraged at the behavior of a group of fundamentalists (orthodox) who think they ARE God and should enact their own personal vengeance on others. This is the danger of any organized religion.

December 30, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
            • Thinker23

svega... You did not answer my question :WHAT makes YOU to believe that YOU know God's intentions better than all Islamic, Christian and Jewish preachers combined? You may recall tat these preachers declared that God ordered them to commit the actions you dislike and I have no reason to believe that YOU know God's intentions better than all these preachers. Further, the Bible was written about 2,000 years ago and I do not think that God's intentions TODAY were coded there because such assumption would reduce God to a machine running a pre-determined program written 2,000 years ago. I believe in God, not in a book and I believe that everything happening in this world happens in accordance with God's intentions. Believing otherwise would suggest that God IS WILLING BUT DOES NOT HAVE THE POWER to stop evil and THIS would suggest that God is NOT an omnipotent one meaning that God is NOT A GOD.

December 30, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
              • svega

So if I understand you (which I may not in a written blog rather than in a lecture forum) you believe that we cannot know God's intentions? Really? Then in that case, we live in a sad, sad world where there is no hope and there is no futility in ever doing anything good in this life. There are no consequences, no repercussions; just do what you believe God wants you to do. That idea could turn anyone into an atheist. It is depressing. The only reason I mention the Crusades is because the three (3) dominant religions of the times were fighting holy wars for world control. That is not a far off analogy here. I do not hold myself to know what God wants from religious groups (which is why I stay out of them), but IF there is a benevolent Being, then certainly he/she would not advocate such hatred. If there really are no moral rules of behavior in this society, then why be good people? Why not just do whatever our "faith" tells us to do? You are right. I don't know God's intentions just like I am still baffled over WWII and the Holocaust. However, my heart tells me that this world should not be run on a whim of religious fanaticism. I don't know God's intentions but my heart tells me and my conscience tells me that justice is a part of a civilized society irrespective of one's beliefs. No one knows what God intends as you say, but we DO have hearts and minds and responsibilities and obligations.

December 30, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
                • Raja

you for the comemnt!I like the point you've made. God will always equip us and prepare us, like He did Paul when we are put into a situation.

February 26, 2012 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
              • Sofia

Never been to a NFL game. Wish the Browns games were on newrotk TV. I never get to watch. I asked for a Browns sweatshirt for Christmas trying to adopt the CLE love and become a fan!

February 24, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
                • Lupita

Wonderful goods from you, man. [sweet]e6a8‚e6œb5e381aeL'architecte(e4b8ade5b1b1e5ba—new open)e2™a5 | e8›‹e5a0a1e381aepeace e2˜ae & love e2™a5 I have understand your stuff pirevous to and you're just extremely wonderful. I really like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a tremendous [sweet]e6a8‚e6œb5e381aeL'architecte(e4b8ade5b1b1e5ba—new open)e2™a5 | e8›‹e5a0a1e381aepeace e2˜ae & love e2™a5 informations.

May 12, 2012 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
              • Cocinoencasa

What a great story! How awful for a teechar to say that, though. My sister had a teechar do a similar thing to her. It's amazing watching God work those wrongs out for our good!

February 26, 2012 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
            • Margit

I just wanted to cotnrsuct a comment to appreciate you for all the excellent solutions you are showing at this website. My time intensive world wide web investigation has now been recognized with high-quality concept to write about with my close pals. I would state that that several of us visitors basically are rather endowed to exist in a really great web-site with very several great professionals with beneficial points. I feel fairly grateful to have found your web pages and look forward to some additional amazing moments reading here. Thank you once again for lots of factors.

May 12, 2012 at 1:40 am | Report abuse |
              • Barancan

Kris, nothing is iosbpsimle with the Lord. Cry out everything to Him, all your burdens and pains inside your heart, and He will surely unburden your shoulder and help you carry it. Ask for God's healing power to your heartaches and you will get it.

September 30, 2012 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
              • Khoa

It is truly thrilling and tiirng and exciting all at the same time! When I think of the packing process, I still see you packing, hauling, lugging, sweating at the Prairie house and VERY PREGNANT! Girl, I don't know how you did it, but with many hands, all was accomplished in His timing. I still look back at our Bird house with fond memories part of me longs to still be there and the other part is so thankful for the newness and simplicity of where we live now. That's where the memories come into play we have those to ponder.Yes, it makes it SO WONDERFUL that Mother is ready and excited a 1,000 times better than someone dragging their feet and emotions.

October 3, 2012 at 5:22 am | Report abuse |
          • Lenon

Great goods from you, man. [sweet]e6a8‚e6œb5e381aeL'architecte(e4b8ade5b1b1e5ba—new open)e2™a5 | e8›‹e5a0a1e381aepeace e2˜ae & love e2™a5 I've understand your stuff prouveis to and you are just too great. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a terrific [sweet]e6a8‚e6œb5e381aeL'architecte(e4b8ade5b1b1e5ba—new open)e2™a5 | e8›‹e5a0a1e381aepeace e2˜ae & love e2™a5 informations.

May 12, 2012 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
          • Olopade

So Beautiful!Jenni we had a three bedroom with four biabes andthey chose to sleep with each other .yes even Ona, Elisha slept on the floor.Today they are blessed to have their own rooms and our boys still choose to share!!They are all so close even today!!You both are doing great keep doing and quickly forget the negative comments and pray for their ignorance for they have no idea. We Love YOU!!

July 26, 2012 at 5:29 am | Report abuse |
        • Trinidad

Amen to this post! (I don't have a clue where anonymous is comnig from here). :)Indeed, grace is not only for salvation, but it's the very essence of the entire Christian life! Paul went on and on about how all the work he did wasn't even himself – "it was the grace of God which was at work in me." In one epistle he spoke of he and his friends in this way: "we conducted ourselves in the world in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom but by the grace of God" (2 Cor 1:12).Everywhere we look, it's grace, grace, grace!

July 26, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. svega

Moreover, the fact that we are pro-Israel is salient to this argument. Remember when we were pro Afghan during the conflict with Russia??? Whose military do you think trained and financed the would be, future Taliban? This may be a "personal" issue about a mother and her daughter, but the personal IS political. like it or not.

December 29, 2011 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ercgyu

Very cool! So many people do not unrtdseand the discipline of God. God's discipline is not REACTIVE, in that it is His reaction to our behaviour (if that was the case, then it goes against everything that Paul taught as the Gospel and mystery of God, and even the prophets of old who foretold of Jesus our redeemer and forgiver of sins etc). No! There are 2 things we need to know about God's discipline:(1) God's discipline is PROACTIVE, in that it is purely designed for our own good – that we may share in His holiness (Heb 12:10), and(2) Ironically (and more importantly), God's discipline is actually not induced by Himself – He does not meet out punishment or discipline upon us. Here's what i mean, and it's so liberating and awesome! If we can get a revelation of this, we will actually fully unrtdseand why and how it is possible to literally and fully rejoice in sufferings:To "spot quote" out of Hebrews 12 is exceptionally dangerous yet so common. Verses 1-5 and Verse 7(a) of Hebrews 12 lays the foundation for the whole chapter on God's discipline (its nature and its purpose). It ENCOURAGES us to remain in Christ who is the founder and perfecter of our faith(verse 1-2). Verse 7 clearly indicates the nature of our discipline – "it is for discipline that you endure". Remaining in Christ during hardship (i.e. standing firm/enduring/persevering in HIS promises and goodness) amounts to discipline – its purpose: " that we may share in His holiness" (verse 10).Verse 5 would not make sense if God's discipline was a punishment for doing wrong, because then surely " exhortation" in verse 5 is the wrong word – shouldn't it be "wrath" then? But it's not! Suffering and difficult times are NOT from God (see ISAIAH 54:14-15 -and the context here is future glory through Jesus Christ) – COMFORT and "EXHORTATION" during suffering and difficult times are from God. So to summarise God's discipline: We are called to endure such difficult times by drawing on His grace and "precious promises", and to be encouraged and comforted by it in order to develop and grow in character and spiritual maturity (i.e the process of being discipled/disciplined and trained in Christ-likeness). It's all about conformity, not punishment – everyone who loves God wants to be spiritually mature, yet the bible teaches us that this maturity/character is developed through the enduring of hardships (which is only possible by the grace of God).

July 26, 2012 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
      • Leticia

Katrina Posted on Having a Leslie is essential. In the past, I would refer to you as one of the naurtal girls that I hang out with Now I say my friend Thanks for the laughs, motivation and cute tops.

September 30, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Andres diaz

That true the name god is not jehova how the intelligence service put here when they got the secret book about jehova and his demons acting like the lord here on earth and the real lord secret and who is writing his son the great depression how ronald reagan and john paul the second spoke about it

December 30, 2011 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
    • Chit

Sorry, forgot to check back here. I tuhoght ("earth") was a mistake because it immediately followed the word 'earth', so seemed redundant, that's all.So where are you living now?BTW, you can't become a Northerner just by living here. Some kinds of superiority can only come by breeding

October 1, 2012 at 2:33 am | Report abuse |
    • Ana

Thank you. Too many Christians that I personally know have tried to expialn this book away. They accept it because it has been accepted by others. They expialn that they can indulge in it without being hurt by it. They are wrong. Few want to stand up and be counted when it comes to the defense of biblical truth. I appreciate you doing so. God bless.

October 3, 2012 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. Andres diaz

Our real lord is solomon our fatherthe creator of heaven and earth andthe real bible secret too the lindau gospel book with the 4 prophets saint mark the lion saint luke the ox saint matews the hippogriff and saint john the angel and the father statue inside the metropolitan museum of science and art in city college the paint of solomon in the great hall the white trone and his mantel and his son like crazy amount the 12 tribe like in heaven in from of solomon and here acting like they dont know anything about it only making money with the thing of god those evil peoples here in the united state the thing like nobody wacth them and killing this body alway

December 30, 2011 at 5:11 am | Report abuse |
  8. svega

Post Script @ Thinker....Preachers know God's intentions better than others????? Please. They are fallible men and look where that has gotten us. Preachers know no more about God's plans than you or I.

December 30, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Prathamesh

美国印象 音乐文化 美国印象 天气、气候和季节 美国印象 宗教If you enjoyed this post, make sure you susbcribe to my RSS feed!19 Responses to

May 10, 2012 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. Bentley76

This is sad- don't these people know the suffering their ancestors went through not only a century ago in Europe? These people are given the blessing having a land to call their own, which is not supported by most of the world and is supported grudgingly by the US to the point that it suffered a tremendous terror attack in 9/11/2001. Thousands of Americans and others worldwide have suffered so these people could have a country to call their own- even though the rest of the world suffers terror attacks because of it.
    A small, but affluent few with the silent political backing of the government are now trying to exercise their muscle to create a government that is very similar to the theocratic regimes of Iran or even the Taliban. These orthodox Jews, many of whom support settlement building in the West Bank and who are protected and funded by the government because they are unable to work or even serve in the very armed forces that is tasked with protecting them from Arab aggression. These people want to create a fully Jewish state, that is contradictory to the tenants of the state of Israel, that believes in religious tolerance (though it was recently revealed that IDF soldiers were complicit in the killing and forceful relocation of about 700,000 Arabs in the 1948 war).
    These orthodox Jews are creating bad publicity for themselves and even if they win the ability for the government to be orthodox, they will lose the support of the very governments they need for protection and who is going to protect Israel if most of the population can't fight due to religious obligations?
    Never step on the feet that protect you and never burn your bridges as they might be the same bridges you might have to cross someday....

January 1, 2012 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
    • svega

@Bentley76..I completely concur. My contention is that the human race inherently has a tendency to impose its will by the use of fear and intimidation. It may be a small number carrying out this behavior (10%) but these this will surely grow as do most instances in which people engender fear.

January 1, 2012 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
      • Sarah

And yet, for whatever reaosn, many people's lives are being transformed by this book. Thankfully, God is gracious! I spoke with a key leader in the Chine revivial about proper theology. And maybe this is the difference between the West and East, but those folks in China deeply struggle with theological training because of their high-rapid-growth and persecution, etc.In the West we focus so much on being right but so little on acting out scripture. In the East they seem to do the opposite I guess?How do we merge the two?

October 3, 2012 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. Lusajo

I agree with you all but you have to know all that when we talk about God its not something we can think or know and wishes and whatever it is us who have it God has no wishes all in us as human we are given mind wisdom and like so it is for us to create good environment for our suruival otherwise we will blame on religious,God and everything we can all in all we must change our survival it is also our will if now does god made gun and bombs to kill ourself answer is not @banks

January 2, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lusajo

I agree with you all but you have to know all that when we talk about God its not something we can think or know and wishes and whatever it is us who have it God has no wishes all in all us as human we are given mind wisdom and like so it is for us to create good environment for our survival otherwise we will blame on religious,God and everything we can, all in all we must change our survival it is also our will if not does god made gun and bombs to kill ourself answer is not @banks

January 2, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Justin

An unputdownable secpeh is couturier report. I think that you should create more on this content, it strength not be a bias substance but generally group are not sufficiency to utter on much topics. To the next. Cheers like your [sweet]e6a8‚e6œb5e381aeL'architecte(e4b8ade5b1b1e5ba—new open)e2™a5 | e8›‹e5a0a1e381aepeace e2˜ae & love e2™a5.

May 12, 2012 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  13. Simon Wilby rip-off scams

Smart mouth mobile has yet to let me down. I have not experienced any dropped calls. Thank goodness for the unlimited texting feature, between me and my kids my texting is endless. The apps are simple and easy to download. I am satisfied with my service, there were no hidden fees or surprises when I got bill. You get exactly what you pay for good service!!!

May 14, 2012 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  14. RN Quits Nursing USA fbi

How about it JEWISH, NEW YORK!

June 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gazeta de maine

Great blog here! Additionally your website quite a bit up very fast! What web host are you using? Can I get your associate link on your host? I desire my website loaded up as fast as yours lol Gazeta de maine http://www.gazetademaine.ro/

February 20, 2013 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |