SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
Could this have been the original Apple iPhone, 1983?
Photos of a prototype from Apple in 1983 have some asking, could this have been the original iPhone?
January 6th, 2012

Could this have been the original Apple iPhone, 1983?

Check out these photos. No, you’re not seeing the latest version of the iPhone! In fact, the photos show an Apple prototype from 1983 that never made it into the marketplace.

Like the iPhone and the iPad, the device came with a touch screen and a stylus. The man who designed this prototype, Hartmut Esslinger, also designed Apple’s first “portable” computer.

Filed under: backstory • Science and Technology • U.S.
  1. Eve

I can't see any pictures

January 6, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Harry

Can I just say what a relief to seek out soomene who really is aware of what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know the right way to bring a difficulty to light and make it important. More individuals have to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant imagine youre no more common since you definitely have the gift.

May 12, 2012 at 1:12 am | Report abuse |
  2. carlton

Why is it this year that they have to introduce the phone to the market?

January 6, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nurul

Cosmomakeup on August 30, 2011 i like my big wide smile! i dniteifely do not have straight white teeth but i do not let my teeth prevent me from smiling! in my opinion, smiles can bring people together and cheer up a stranger's day, therefore i want to spread? and share my happiness with? others

February 24, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Amer

atbee on October 14, 2010 Its a good wind tbunire design and i have many like it myself. I think it is basically a cowled wind tbunire but you should still go ahead and get it made and sell it, IMO

February 26, 2012 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
      • Rana

The most likely cause of death due to AGW today is matonlritiun and starvation secondary to the increased use of corn as a supplement to gasoline. The ethanol being produced from the grain is using up foodstores and driving up corn prices and making supply limited.And for what? Does it really decrease GHG??? Nope. More liberal environmental good intentions that are paving there way to hell

October 3, 2012 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  3. jesse Abende

Where are the pix and why the fuss?

January 6, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Peres

Hi Maria,This feature was idnetned to help people who had to create two surveys in different languages and then report on it. Now that we have the option to create one survey with multiple languages, it has made this feature obsolete. So all you need to do is just make different versions of your survey using the Text/Translation Settings link and you should be good to go.I hope that helps.Thanks,Brittany on Tue, Feb 08 11 at 10:42 am

October 3, 2012 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. Erasmus

Where are the photos?

January 6, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Shilpa

, the unfairness of the renueve system doesn't change the uncertainty of the figures, and I see this as the thin line between advocacy and research: one leads you to hold back and question the numbers more, the other to go ahead and run with the numbers you have. Oxfam and its partners have clearly chosen the latter which is OK, but I don't have to agree with it. And as far as my `chosen role', I think you're blowing my thoughts out of proportion. I'm just a research student who runs a really obscure blog about aid in his precious spare time, sometimes choosing to question research that gets turned into hyperbole by the media. I wished society subsidized this kind criticism a little more and that more people did it, this even if they are occasionally wrong. This isn't my day job I don't claim to be an expert in anything and I don't have a large think-tank, charity, or even really a university to back me up on anything I say. Humility doesn't even enter into it.Matt

July 24, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
      • Bonita

Our work on caste discrimination does indluce Bangladesh. The UK, through DFID, is helping to increase the organisational capacity of Dalits in Bangladesh to fight discrimination and ensure that they get access to basic services and social safety nets. Through another DFID programme, the UK will also improve the livelihoods and living conditions of 3 million urban poor and extremely poor people including significant number of Dalits. On the adoption of the UN Principle and Guidelines, the UK is continuing to monitor progress and it is important that governments with Dalit populations are fully engaged in the process.

September 30, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dennis Okiemute

Ican'tseeanypixs

January 6, 2012 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Terry

Please put the photo or edit your post. Thank you!

January 6, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Francisco

MyFreeProductSamples on October 14, 2011 @Thekissfamily2 That's funny. Yeah it's ltlite random free stuff like that when you just have to say Welp, it was free!

February 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
      • Kester

I have learned new gthnis through your blog site. One other thing I would like to say is that newer laptop operating systems tend to allow additional memory to use, but they additionally demand more memory simply to run. If a person's computer can not handle a lot more memory plus the newest program requires that memory space increase, it usually is the time to shop for a new Laptop. Thanks

March 26, 2012 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. ogunlaja taiyetunde elizabeth

Please where are the photos? or could this be a new year joker? I guess it is!

January 6, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mirna

But I don't hold them in the in box. Using SpeedFiler (pbuh) I file as normal once hanivg read and flagged them. I then work my way through the Follow Up' in Outlook as and when I (a) have time and (b) need to. Thus the emails are always there in the right folders with the relevant other emails etc and when I've dealt with it I simply Clear Flag' and the email is already filed with the reply I sent etc.

July 25, 2012 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  8. ike masonto

where is the pic?

January 6, 2012 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. nonye Joseph

No pictures! Must be a joke!

January 6, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. KathieO

haha is this an invisible iPhone prototype? Interesting.

January 6, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Olanrewaju

Where is the picture or is it invicible.

January 6, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ECE

Where is the photo?

January 7, 2012 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. Back|Story

We're unsure why everyone is having trouble seeing the photos...there are two in a slide show that we can see just fine on many computers and browsers...are you trying to view on mobile phones??
    We've put up stills in the same way before and no one had problems...hmm

January 7, 2012 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
  14. Back|Story

I have our webmasters checking out this issue...be sure to check back soon...we'll try and figure out what the issue is...

January 7, 2012 at 3:16 am | Report abuse |
  15. Z

We can all see it, but didnt expect to see a prototype handset to be called an iPhone. Extremely poor blogging, not journalism, this is a bloogers work.

January 7, 2012 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Big

1. You are reading this on a BLOG at CNN.com.
      2. It is a question, asking if "this could have been the original iPhone?" Did you not understand that part of the article?

January 10, 2012 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Hassan

I would like to show appreciation to this wiertr just for rescuing me from such a matter. Because of surfing throughout the world wide web and meeting strategies that were not beneficial, I assumed my life was done. Being alive devoid of the strategies to the difficulties you've sorted out by way of your good review is a critical case, and the kind which could have adversely affected my entire career if I had not come across your web site. Your primary know-how and kindness in touching all things was tremendous. I'm not sure what I would have done if I hadn't discovered such a point like this. I am able to at this moment look forward to my future. Thanks a lot very much for this specialized and sensible guide. I will not hesitate to suggest your web page to any person who should have assistance on this subject.

March 26, 2012 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Raul

I would like to thank you for the efforts you've put in wrtinig this blog. I am hoping the same high-grade website post from you in the upcoming also. Actually your creative wrtinig abilities has inspired me to get my own blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings fast. Your write up is a good example of it.

May 12, 2012 at 4:41 am | Report abuse |
  16. Ukot

Where is the photo? This must be a joke!

January 7, 2012 at 4:17 am | Report abuse |
  17. oluwaseun

Where are the pictures

January 7, 2012 at 6:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Payal

JakeHustle2 on November 20, 2008 beettr warranty doesnt mean they make good cars! they dont have toyota's good reputation!

February 26, 2012 at 6:05 am | Report abuse |
      • Louis

David, Thanks for chiming in. And takhns for pointing out the importance of knowing State laws when it comes to this stuff. I hope each person would take the time to familiarize themselves if they do not know already. Great advice!

August 30, 2012 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  18. kenny

Simply unbelievable!How come it did not reach the market place?

January 7, 2012 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Auth

IronReviewer on October 20, 2011 21 bcesuae it has a mix of adventure, skill, entertainment, and romance. Great movie that could be a great game!

February 24, 2012 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jade

I loathe chain mail even in email or conmmet form. I taught high school for a while, junior high before that, this sounds like the kind of thing teens do. Still it is inappropriate and it's good to take steps to prevent this kind of thing from happening again.

August 30, 2012 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  19. suleman muhammed

tentesion weekend we need peace in nigeria why every days demolution hpn in de country we need peace 2 rain,

January 7, 2012 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  20. Claw Digital Review

For Android its the other way round (especially on ICS) – on tablets I find it mediocre but love it on phones. Have yet to see a flagship ICS tablet when my opinion might change. Claw Digital Review

January 9, 2012 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Craig

A powerful share, I just given this onto a ceollague who was doing a little bit evaluation on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I feel strongly about it and love reading extra on this topic. If possible, as you grow to be expertise, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra particulars? It's highly helpful for me. Large thumb up for this blog put up!

March 26, 2012 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  21. Akisferi

The image is blind...not me.

January 9, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Karhael

Owbalv on October 20, 2011 Oddly enuogh, i think a Bruce Almighty game would have been kinda cool. Go around and use your powers to help people or to help yourself to things. Who wouldnt want to play god?

February 24, 2012 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ropademujer

goose2goose2 on February 20, 2011 there is a free one in 30 ft of water in Dutch Harbor Alaska.it broke into a tduosanhs pieces and blew into the ocean..but it's free it you want it.

February 26, 2012 at 3:40 am | Report abuse |
  22. rovion Israel

Why Į̸̸̨§ it №τ̲̅ in the market all these years?.

January 9, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Ogbonnaya

I like it is very nice to some one like me to use

January 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  24. ike masonto

interesting device,if it can be brought back to market it can be a best seller.

January 9, 2012 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Gustavo

-How lleovy!Your flora and fauna was seen in:Remember: 1 post 2 awards If you received 3 or more awards _______________

February 24, 2012 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Hacene

umeh okcknayhuewu.duke Posted on am umeh okcknayhuewu,a 27years old boy from nigeria,a graduate of computer and information science lead city university ibadan.please sir,i tried to look for the link of where to fill the scholarship application form

March 24, 2012 at 1:20 am | Report abuse |
  26. Abbott

I'm glad I found your site on msn. Thanks for the sensible critique. My wife and i had been just getting ready to do some research relating to this. I am thrilled to see these kinds of wonderful information currently being shared freely out there.

May 26, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  27. Damaris

Kwame, Following up some more on the VAT front according to the Oxfam rerpot, VAT is zeroed for goods that are primarly consumed by poor Ghanaians, so it's *also* unclear who is paying for it. The rerpot cites research by James Akazili on this, none of which I can't hunt down online and the main link provided in the rerpot is broken! This doesn't throw the argument one way or the other (Even if only the richest 10% of Ghanaians paid VAT but only 18% are covered, we still wouldn't be happy) but just throws more uncertainty in the air about what the truth really is! Surely it is reasonable to argue that we should do a little more analysis?

July 24, 2012 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  28. Abubaker

I spent time yesterday to read the Public Protector's rorpet, and to say the least it is damning. The Minister is proven to be a liar on more than one occasion. The difference between something like this being rorpeted in the media and a Public Protector's rorpet, is that a rorpet is not official or formal notification of a transgression to the President, but a rorpet of a Public Protector is official and therefore the President is duty-bound to act.(It is important that we are fair, and hope Prof that you also highlight Afriforum's decision to rorpet a middle management official Tshwane to the Human Rights Commission, the official utilised his work email to send his ANC branch correspondence. But if I recall Helen Zille has been using her Premier email and even letterhead to send press statements of the DA). It seems that the leader of the DA is not able to distinguish between party and State.)It is also apparent that maybe the government does not even need this Minister, since he has been on sick leave for so long, and not a single municipality has even crumbled. Making it even easier for the Minister to act.

July 26, 2012 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |