SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
January 18th, 2012

The Revealer: Clue 3

In this clip above, it may appear to be a regular violin that the woman is playing.  But as we said in clue number one, sometimes looks can be deceiving. Can you guess how the instrument was made?

We will reveal its origins in this week’s episode of The Revealer, Thursday on Back|Story. Share your guess in the comments section below, and we'll give on-air credit to the first person to guess correctly.

Keep in touch with Back|Story on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @BackStory.

note: in the video above, Laura Powell of England’s South West Music School is playing this unique violin.

Filed under: backstory • The Revealer
  1. Kay

It's a viola. The sound is another than from a violin. The strings are tuned deeper in contralto other than a violin.

January 18, 2012 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Eve

Wow I love this! She plays it really well, but I'm sure it isn't a viola...

January 18, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Upender

I tell my teen & her friends to send chain spam to me when they get them . I have no qlmaus about using the big finger of delete Frac is right that they do get worried about will happen if they don't pass them on.. so this is a soluion for them

August 30, 2012 at 7:11 am | Report abuse |
  3. Kay

These segments of the violin or viola are made of sticked together several segments from a 3D Printer. The material is a special plastic.

January 18, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Peter

What an accomplished young player, she plays so beautifully!

January 18, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kay

In clue one the polymer hardens under a special safelight conditions.

January 18, 2012 at 11:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mhyca Tan

its violin right?

January 19, 2012 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. Elliet53

I agree with Kay, 3D printer is my guess

January 19, 2012 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
    • Deden

Hi, a fellow hlhcsemoooer visiting from the hop! well, yeah, homeschooling is kind of a limited subject, but you are right, it is really our one big hobby/job so we think about it a lot and write about it a lot. I do think though, that when we share what we do, crafts/lessons/read alouds and resources we use, that even non-homeschool moms might find something useful/fun they can do afterschool or on a weekend, so I figure it is all good and we can all learn from each other. it's nice to meet you, I love the name of your blog, very sweet.

March 26, 2012 at 4:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Flor

hi, in North America the support depdnes a lot on school or school district. Also to how attuned teachers and guidance counselors are to these issues! There is support but never as much as needed. Usually abuse comes out when other issues surface such as behaviour problems. Definitely lots more to be done in this area! Joanne

May 12, 2012 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  8. Akeem Dauda Oluwaseuun

I happy to be here

January 19, 2012 at 3:55 am | Report abuse |
    • Isabel

I love reading this.It pops up on my Facebook lsoacicnaoly and it just makes my day to see what the Wingo family is learning, doing, living. Love your random posts.Hope you're doing well. I miss all you guys!Alyssa

March 26, 2012 at 5:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. hugo

si mi pregunta es que obra o melidia es la que toca

January 19, 2012 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Eva

Christians are not pcfeert. You're only human. We all have ideals, when we start our families, to know themselves infidels, give bread to their children instead of a scorpion. I do not think that what others see heresy it should work with your child who beats a day to be identified. This is a pretty biased view of life in my opinion.

February 24, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. hugo

ay les dejo mi correo por si alguien sabe hfosm_123@hotmail.com

January 19, 2012 at 4:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Anja

Schools can not teach that the Earth orbtis the sun! Outrageous. And they can teach, gravity keeps us glued to the floor. Schools to teach blasphemy!, What is revealed to some extent objectively, on the basis of all available data. If well-established theory proves to be defective or not true, it has been fixed or bashing theists can Lehrplan.Bis mountains of evidence supporting evolution with something more comprehensive than not God they are going to ignore if it's education curriculum kommt.Holen shape you? Also make the evolution and science does not teach kids if you do not believe in scientific theories, you can go to hell. If you choose not to believe in science, you will probably end up working only in industry or service or fast-food analyst, with all the other stupid people. Oh wait, that's hell.

February 24, 2012 at 8:18 am | Report abuse |
      • Nur

Elaine,Good job on the bank rating blog oetcisn.I like your words to ponder today! Are you suggesting that US is ceasing to grow? We blindly followed our congress and President on those WMDs!Also, I see that in 1990 Pete Rose was sentenced for tax evasion.I really dislike baseball now and don't follow it at all, very hypocritical! Although I think Pete is a jerk in a lot of ways, however, he played the game with passion and he still isn't in the Hall of Fame and he never cheated on the field. However, the baseball commissioner, players and owners have been lying and covering up steroid usage and cheating the fans for years but no ban on them. Oh well, maybe someday Pete!

March 24, 2012 at 9:14 am | Report abuse |
        • Tim

at the moment a ten tubrnie will give a390m revenue over 25 years with a320m costs. this is sheer profiteering. windfarm companies also lie about noise. Dr Bass was informed before presenting RES' claims regarding the Den Brook AM condition during the recent ReUK conference that his evidence was based on not only flawed data but that the data itself was sub-standard. Whilst he accepted some criticisms he refused to acknowledge others. This article in the IoA Acoustic Bulletin is based on his original and flawed evidence. RES have today (21st November 2011)acknowledged that the evidential basis of the evidence behind this article is flawed: We were unfortunately too late to have our article corrected in this issue, however we have written a correction note which will appear in the next edition.

October 1, 2012 at 1:28 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rosie

I think this is the violin i saw on the front of the Economist last year. It is made from resin by Additive Layer Manufacturing, known as 3D printing.

January 19, 2012 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Sylvina

Robitussin Abuse Dot Net welcomes you to share your pionoins on the topic of Robitussin Abuse and other similar drug abuse topics. We look forward to hearing your pionoins

March 24, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. Joanna

It is not a real violin, just some super-imposed image, or photo editing or something of the sort. First, I couldn't see any strings, and second the violinist's bowing was not completely in agreement with the phrasing of the music. There, it was not this girl who was really playing but simply acting while somebody else played the piece or it was a recorded section.

January 19, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  13. Kay

It's the 3D-Prototyping-Procedure via Additive Layer Manufacturing (ALM) under safelight conditions. It has the advantage to safe costs and opens a new market with creating more jobs. You could reach a stability of aluminium or steel of all types of creations in households, with as many as 64% lighter material. The idea comes from the knowledge that every 3D object is a pile of 2D slices. It saves fasteners for example. An arm sprays fine nylon powder onto the platform and invisible lasers melting thin layers for new objects.

January 19, 2012 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Priyo

...and sneocd, "Carrie Wanna Be" needs to become a critical thinker! because you/we can't grow if all we hear is "you are perfect"thus, my point...it is abusive to parent in a way that does not teach children to BOTH love their whole selves AND see their whole selves criticallywe all have greatness and we all need improvement...this duality lives within each of us and it is wonderful! I think, if one can teach their children to embrace it then one has succeededhowever, you bring up an interesting point about "how kids turn out" versus how they were parentedheredity versus environment?...this question often come up when referring to adoption but I think it pertains to ALL of usthe answer is...it depends...it depends on not only heredity but also the overall environment AND the sub-environments within each persons life...it depends on the deliberate and random acts of others...it depends on timing and finally, it mostly depends on how individual personalities react to all of the above

February 26, 2012 at 4:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Rodrigo

that the show i saw with her last week was at the same standard as it was with Idina and Kristen!Rachel, Louise and Lee plyead their characters phenomenally each song was sung so well, it was like i was just listening to the soundtrack but with their own twists on it!I would happily see this musical again and again!!

May 9, 2012 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
      • Nesil

Improve your credit score, rlealy? This is something not encouraged by Dave Ramsey because the FICO score is not something you should worship. it does not mean you are winning financially. A good credit score simply means you love to borrow money that isn't yours! The borrower is slave to the lender. Pay off your debt, save for purchases, retire with dignity, Dave Ramsey will show you how!!!!!

June 16, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
        • Jilibril

Lee pure luck: I knew someone ivonlved in the report.Annabella: How do you mean? whatever the reason, the new Government isn't so interested in Africa, or would you say it is, but in a different way? I'd be interested to hear.The last lot were idealistic, that's true. But idealism imperfectly achieved is preferable than cynical uninterest.

July 24, 2012 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
          • Maya

Learn everything about reinpriag and/or building creditany letter to credit burea with account information can get the prosper loan put on your credit report. Just include all information.as for disputing with asking proof of contract wont work, your credit file will get flagged and most likely they will stop accepting letters from you in the future. A company does not have to give anyone prrof of a contract. All that needs to be verified is dates and account with address and all other information. But you can get it taken off. The credit burea will only update information. and it will not help your credit score, you must get it taken off to improve your score.go to website for more informationcreditrepairuniverse.net

August 28, 2012 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Mariecarmelle

Hello I am looking for a vitural set to produce a TV show about real estate. For the video demo I saw the package of 3 Serious Magic Ultra 2, seems to be what I need. I would like to confirm that those scenes just the beginning of the video that appears in an aerial image showing several buildings and going inside a building taken at the table and showing the presenter is included in the package 3 of the program. I would also like to know a phone that I can contact a company official to clarify details about the product. My name is Marcelo and I'm from Brazil. Thanks if you can answer me as soon as possible because I need to do this work with some urgency. Thank you.

May 12, 2012 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  14. Rosie

She plays the violin beautifully! A very talented musician!!

January 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • Yankho

Dear Dr. Kristi, I have this terrible fear of bald ppolee. Particularly bald old men. They seem to be everywhere these days! How do you suggest I deal with this issue?

May 12, 2012 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jem :)

what an achievement!! and actually 'Kay' its a violin NOT a viola. it is amazingly played also and everyone is very proud of you. :)

January 21, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Susy

Proud Pinoy July 25, 2009 Yeah, for those who don't know about this.for best rlsuet,use google search. Imagine a world without filipinos .and you would be inspired with the rlsuet.

February 24, 2012 at 2:22 am | Report abuse |
  17. Zoka

Manny July 25, 2009 Hello to eyebvrody,just try to write a phrase IMAGINE A WORLD WITHOUT FILIPINOS at google or yahoo search.maybe you would be surprised the results.Anybody just try.

February 24, 2012 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
  18. Omorfi

How brrbaaic! I'm not really a fan of home-school myself, but, as an American, I am glad that we have the option to home-school, because many children need to be saved from harsh, inhumane treatment such as that which your son received, or for other reasons, such as to escape bullying, a poor education, or an anti-Christian agenda. I am thankful that the schools where I live are rural, locally controlled and taught by people who are our friends and neighbors, and still permit Christian things like vocal prayers over your lunch, Christian T-shirts, Christmas carols sung at Christmas plays, Christian movies (my son's history teacher showed Ben Hur once during class), etc. But not everyone is so blessed. I am glad that you were able to remove your child from this awful situation and hope that the home-schooling works out well.

February 26, 2012 at 2:48 am | Report abuse |
    • Fadi

One further note if I may. In the United States there was the wild west', semithong everyone is aware of from american and Italian westerns, but in Canada there was the Royal' Canadian Mounted Police (the mountie). Established by Queen Victoria, they both protected under the law the Canadian Indian, they also kept law and order in the Canadian west as the territories unfolded, even over Americans who joined the gold rush through Canada to the north. The Mountie always got his man. Justice can prevail. Just takes authority with will-ingness.

August 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Aurore

Vyvanse Abuse Dot Com woeclmes you to place comments on the topic of Vyvanse Abuse and other drug related topics. We look forward to your comments.

February 26, 2012 at 6:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Sosha

SarahsFabChannel Posted on I love your videos They make me happy even thuogh I'm not getting married anytime soon. Your brides should check out my channel for help losing the weight for the big day thuogh

May 8, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |