SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
Breast Implant Health Scare
January 27th, 2012

Breast Implant Health Scare

The founder of a French company that makes breast implants linked to a health scare was charged Friday with involuntary injury. Jean-Claude Mas, founder of Poly Implant Protheses, or PIP, has been released but is under judicial control, meaning he cannot leave France.  He has not been charged with the more serious offense of involuntary manslaughter.

PIP implants have sparked health scares in Europe and South America. A French attorney representing women with implants welcomed the arrest, but said it could have come sooner. The company has been under investigation since 2011.

Atika Shubert and her producer Saskya went around Southern France to investigate what is going on with PIP and how this all could've happened.

We also spoke to Dr. Grant Stevens, a plastic surgeon in Los Angeles, who talks about the problems he's had with PIP breast implants and how to keep yourself safe.

Filed under: backstory • Europe • France • Interviews • Latin America • U.S. • Uncategorized
  1. Muzaeni

02 nov 27, 2011 19 h 31 min Gerard Merci Docteur de rtebalir la veritee et donner toutes ces precisions afin que les femmes qui souhaitent realiser prochainement une telle operation soient tranquilles!

February 24, 2012 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
    • Sweta

I agree that neither vreoisn is reasonable.The second one overplays warming and shows that there is a lot occurring, and the first underplays it, masking the warming. However, of the two, I believe the first one was innocent, done to maximize contrast, and the second one was deliberately done to emphasize warming. Why? Because there is a full spectrum of colors that is expected on weather maps, ranging from purple in the extreme cold to red in extreme heat. Eliminating any color on the rainbow causes confusion, especially eliminating the neutral green and warm yellow colors, skiping straight to the orange.A better scale would be< -3 degrees = Blue Cooling+/- 3 degrees = Green Really no change< 6 degrees = Yellow 9 degrees = Red

October 3, 2012 at 6:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. Adrian

I love this idea! Unfortunately, I just decvosired this site, so, I was not able to take part. Will you be posting any more challenges in the near future?

February 24, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • Cromuela

Hi,I wonder if you could dorvipe some more information on the potential part-time opportunity. I'm assuming your preference is for full-time if you can find a suitable candidate. Is that correct?I work full time, shift work as a firefighter. That means two day shifts (10 hours each), two night shifts (14 hours each) followed by four days off. This leads to a varied schedule of availability 6 daytimes out of every 8 that advances 1 day each time (8 day blocks in a 7 day week). Hope that makes sense. Would this be acceptable as a part time availability or do you require set hours on set days without variation?

March 26, 2012 at 4:09 am | Report abuse |
      • Elisabete

Brian Posted on I like MacBook computers very much, there are nuueorms great features presented by them. I agree with the fact that investing money in developing the CPU in the case of such devices was a very good idea, an idea that was necessary and which enabled them to design products that were considered much more developed than other similar products that had been previously released on the market

July 26, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • James

Was huddled in the small poejoctrr room in the agency with two dozen colleagues. People had to take turns to see the footage and make way for the next batch of colleagues. Dazed looks and lot of political debate followed.

August 28, 2012 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. Saripah

I found this aoatiminn piece to be too literal, and therefore too clumsy. I would have worked more abstractly myself, told the story through inference (or not at all it's such a strange idea in the first place; not a bad idea, just one that's better left to the imagination), perhaps using the shadow puppets she seems to be using for Lake Tahoe. It just doesn't come off, in my opinion, and when the snow lover starts to melt it's really grotesque, and the distorted reality of that intrudes upon what should be a more subtle process, an almost metaphorical thing: the perfect lover who inevitably slips away, leaving nothing but a chill in the air. At least that's what I think.

February 24, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jacob

Hi Mel,Got to this too late I know but hey I could never compete with some of the sritoes above!!There is such a need for the human race to be reeducated in eating habits and lifestyle. I am chief!! Sounds a great book. Whoever the fortunate winner is I am sure it will benefit!Keep up the good work! :):)

March 24, 2012 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
      • Linda

අදහස දක වප හ මද න ටම ස ත ත ය :)@ගයන ත,Forward ව ඩ න ක ක ලය න ස ත ක ර මක . නම ත ඒ ඔස ස ව දගත ද වල ත එනව කල ත රක න . ද ක කම හ න න ව බ ර එකක , ද ර ලභ ද යක හ සත ය ස ද ධ යක ව න ද යක නම ස ළ ප ර සකට farrowd කරනව . මල , බබ ල , බල ල , ප ස , ඔය එක එක ජ ත ය අන මන යවන න න . ම ට එන පණ ව ඩ ක යව බල ම ත රන සමඟ බ ද ගත ය ත මය ක ය ස ත න ත ක ප ද න ක ට යවනව . ඉන පස මක දමනව . ව ඩ අධ ක ක ල ට farrowd ල ප ස යල ල න ක යව එක ග ඩට මක දමනව . පස වට ක යවන න ත ය ගන න න .@පහන ,ඔව . ම ම තකද ස හල බ ල ග කර වන ග ග ග ල සම හයටත ඔව න ල ප ආව .@චර ත,Yahoo mail වලට filter ද න න 15ය . න පම ව Gmail ව ත ම ර වන න. ස ම පල ප ල න එකක ... :D@Udara1968,ඔව ... ඌණප රණයට ස ත ත ය මච ... :)@ප රව න ,ත ර ම ගන න ඕන ක න ක ට ප ළ වන . නම ත උනන ද වක න . ඒකය හ ත ව.@සරත ග ණත ග,ස ත ත ය ... අප ර comment එකක :) ව ල ව ල බ ණම අන ව ර යය න ල යනව :)@Uraj Deemantha,Report කරන න. මටත කලකට ප ර Yahoo Mail එකට spam බර ගණන වල න ආව . මම report කළ . ද න එනව අඩ ය . එන හ ම spam එකක ග නම එය ල ව ර ත ත ය ගන නව . Spam එක අඩ ග අන තර ගතය, සබ ඳ ම (hyperlinks), html/ javascript ක ත, ප න ත ර පව එය ල ස ලක ල ලට ගන නව .@malee_msg,ම කක ද අක ක ට ක ක ක යන න ? ම ත ම දන න ත න ස අහන න .. :-|

October 1, 2012 at 2:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Naved

Wonderful story, reckoned we could cobmine a few unrelated data, nevertheless really worth taking a look, whoa did one learn about Mid East has got more problerms as well

September 30, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alexis

By the way EVERYONE who is gintetg shafted by PayPal should launch a formal complaint via the Better Business Bureau's website and MAKE PayPal respond. If 500 complaints are filed THEN they will respond!! HAHAHAHA! It will absolutely KICK their asses! File with your local BBB so they have to respond in YOUR jurisdiction.Never give up, never surrender!Cheers Jonathan

February 26, 2012 at 4:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. Alicia

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I have used Paypal for svreeal years without problem but my use is minimal and I haven't had any problems but it never hurts to watch carefully. You folks run a great service, by the way, with Statcounter and I really enjoy the features. My site is strictly volunteer so I'm not a paying member but I really appreciate it.Don

February 26, 2012 at 6:50 am | Report abuse |
    • Manfred

19f@jackjohnsonsonson You don't know anything you dumb fool. The Health care bill Obama, your bibeas momma has pushed through will raise taxes and now since it has past and you think ur rescued , only now comes the talk of a national tax,and higher taxes Look educate your self, or ask you parents to use condoms for the next child they plan for the sake of this country.

March 24, 2012 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
      • JoeAngels

I too noticed that there was no metnoin of this being Domestic Violence Awareness month when watching. I was saddened by Oprah having the opportunity and she didn't take it. While at school today, there were tent cards on the tables about a talk that would be going on in one of the classrooms. It was small, nothing eye catching .although it was a nicely displayed. The talk, Domestic Violence in Relationships, was never posted anywhere on the college website, The Flush(in the bathrooms), or anywhere else. I just happen to have an extra few minutes and noticed it. It wasn't displayed yesterday, I was at school most of the day. My point is, the talk was today 10/21/10 at 12:00 to 1:00. I am disappointed, this could have been a very well publicized event for the students, many of which might need some help. I have often wondered why we see animal abuse PSA's on tv many times throughout the day and evening, but there are none for Domestic Violence . Please don't take this in the wrong light, I am grateful for the help that animals are getting, I just feel it is way overdue for PSA's to be airing throughout the day and evening for Domestic Violence .Thank you for doing this blog.

September 30, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
      • Rahmat

That would assume that God is nsrlesaciey concerned with earthly wellbeing.All the believers think he/she/it is.What if, as is commonly believed, life on earth is a mere, brief testing ground for a soul’s destiny in eternity? Then goodness or badness, justice, injustice, and early, arbitrary death are irrelevant in the long run. It would all be wrapped up in what one does with what time one has.What if, it's not. Really, Evan, this is just philosophizing. No one knows or can know one way or the other, which is the whole problem. You know that religion is a means of controlling the populace, nothing more.Or to put it another way, your teacher would care a lot whether you score well on the SAT but would not be overly concerned if the AC wasn’t working during the test. He’d care about how well you did, not how comfortable you were during the three hours of the test.Sorry, but how does this equate to an all-powerful, all-knowing being who seems concerned enough about the sweet savour of roasted, unblemished male rams we all must sacrifice, but no one does? Concerned enough that we shouldn't eat pork, must stone rape victims to death because they just shouldn't have been out in the city, concerned enough to torture an old man into killing his son only to call psych just before the deed? Come on, Evan, you know it's all a bunch of crap.I am a nonbeliever, but seemingly arbitrary death and disaster is perfectly well accounted for by every major religion.Of course it is. They'd have been out of business long ago if they couldn't answer why bad things happen to good people. And the answers are bogus.

October 3, 2012 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Ozan

I would say what I own and use mine for but I have a feeling ppl would steal my ideas.. I am srpruised at how many adds the person who posted coolfuncity blog has used on the page..I thought their was a limit.?? If not can I make my entire site with add clicks cause i could make money that way.. Can someone clear this up for me.. I am better than 90% with photoshop too if anyone needs any help..

March 24, 2012 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Artin

I have studied for prblobay a month concerning your product and also the chroma-key technology. I am so impressed by the products you sell. What I would like to know will the ultra 2 master sets work with the Cinegobs keyer or the Chromakey sold by Tube Tape. I so hope that it will work. I have a Sony Vaio, 4GB 64Bit operating system. It is 16 months old, and works very well. Please email me a quick reply. I am presently living in Vietnam and will be relocating back to the states in 2 months. I want to use your product for online ministry since I am a pastor. Thank you so much for your great product.

May 12, 2012 at 4:24 am | Report abuse |
    • Glavensky

I absolutely adore redniag your blog posts, the variety of writing is smashing.This web site as usual was educational, I've had to bookmark your website and subscribe to your feed in ifeed. Your theme looks lovely.

September 30, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marbeo

I was really hdonilg out hope that eventually the truth of what is really happening with global temperatures and melting ice (NOT) would some day turn this global warming jugernaut around. It is really demoralizing to see stories like this. It is apparent that if the facts don't support the global warming agenda that they are just going to make up whatever they want to keep it going. It appears that the press is so brain washed that they will go along with it too without challenging it. Is all hope for the truth lost????

October 3, 2012 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. Clineshia

Bold comments on truth tilleng. An aspect off truth tilleng that might further the discussion is when is advocacy (e.g. child abuse counselors) also a truth tilleng. I think that sometimes we as a culture allow some people who have great truth ( I'm being crushed/violated by this person/government ) be ignored. After all isn't the Anthony story known by all of us by a certain media exploration.I like how you describe truth as a freeing thing despite first reactions.

March 26, 2012 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
    • Kelvin

Easily attainable emelnympot is the flakey point here. Those jobs listed as seasonal are skill specific jobs that are not easily attainable, let alone available at non seasons. Most who work those jobs also only barely make more than min. wage when averaged throughout the off season .without any benefits. Most of the easily attainable jobs you listed are, frankly out of touch with reality. NO McDonalds, or Stop n Go 3 month temp employee makes much more than min wage, let alone $25 grand. They are taken by high school or college students who aren't supporting a family. Thats simply unrealistic. Now, if you were to be making the point that unemelnympot insurance should only be covering those people who are making less than poverty level averaged over the year and thus cannot save enough to pay their bills, This I could kinda understand . kinda.If you were to be saying unemelnympot insurance should only be there as an INSURANCE if becoming unemployed is catastrophic or unpredictable this too I could kinda understand . kinda. What you are saying is akin to the neo cons saying Welfare Mamma's keep kicking out babies so we should kick everybody off of welfare or foodstamp recipients are unworthy because they bought a steak Its empty neo con rhetoric. The $50 grand seasonal job is not representative its a drop in the bucket to the real world. To penalize the other seasonal workers because of this is something a neo con would do. A real solution should be to create a cost of liviing index based upon income for unemelnympot insurance recipients, and give them the insurance they payed for for a limited time no wait, thats how it is now. Unemelnympot insurance is an INSURANCE not WELFARE. Next thing you will try to keep full coverage auto insurance from paying for hail damage because you cannot see the dings.

May 9, 2012 at 2:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Imam

Sam Posted on absolutely agered it's probably more appropriate to have a Best Idea Executed Across More Than One Channel, Including At Least Two Digital category or if you want to be succinct Most Versatile Idea but you've got me thinking about how best to evaluate integration

August 27, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Report abuse |
      • Terry

The thermodelusionists need peeeicvrd fear, disease, death, and destruction to advance their agenda. If they can't base their fear mongering on real data, fabricated and indefensible data will do. It seems fear is the “cover all bases” component of the AGW threat. It works like this I would be much more willing to hand over my wallet to someone holding me at gun point than to someone who asks for my money politely. As to the case of the person holding the gun, I don't believe I would ask if the gun is loaded. Neither would I ask if he can shoot straight in the event the gun is loaded. Giving up my money seems a small price to pay to not have to risk finding out. So it goes with the AGW bandalaros. It doesn’t matter if they have any real ammunition. Most won’t ask. They’ll just hand over their money and believe they made the safer, wiser choice.

October 3, 2012 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Daisy

I must agree with DAV here. The drafts are far more pyogholscically misleading than the final versions. The (projected) information being conveyed shows a lot of heating in almost all regions and almost no cooling. Green and blue imply cooling. The draft makes sense from the point of view of conveying the greatest dynamic range of information with colors, but the consequence is that unless someone carefully reads and uses the key, they will think the model conveys a mix of warming and cooling, and the information being represented is almost entirely warming, or at best neutral throughout the region. There's definitely some gaming in the final version, as zero, or a small negative is still shown orange rather than green or blue, but if honest authors and editors believed the information they were trying to represent was a prediction of almost universal warming, they would have considered the draft to be the misleading color scheme, and rightfully so.

October 3, 2012 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  7. Evi

Change your Facebook profile pricute to a cartoon from your childhood & invite your friends to do the same til Monday (12.06.10). There should be no human faces on Facebook, but an invasion of memories! This is for violence against children. (This has been going around, ur supposed to post it then change ur pic)References :

March 26, 2012 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Assaad

HDMI is hardware stietng, nothingto deal with postProductionbest way to work with SMU is to have AVI uncompresssed FileSMU is not an Editing video Progam, is a Keying+Virtual sets (sold separately) Post production systemfinally, you can record anything in best way/quality you want, then have a simple and uncompressed avi files wich will be well handled by SMUof course, if you work in Hires, be sure to have a highlevel pc to make rendering in a timely manner

May 12, 2012 at 4:40 am | Report abuse |
      • Angel

brent May 13, 2010 I say, drop No.1, you will always see your ofemeciatfs, like everyday. So,magsasawa ka din sa mukha nila. You might get lost though on the chika with them when they get back to work but hey, it should be worth it considering you'll see Mimay again.

August 27, 2012 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
        • Rebeca

Domestic Violence is a terrible thing that acffet many people, both men and women. I agree with nissomo06 in the fact that people will not show this side of themselves when you first meet, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. You have to be careful and take the blinders off. Don't let that long desired interest in you that you crave blind you of the obvious. If a person is verbally and mentally abusive, believe that the physical is not far behind. There is no room for anyone to be abusive in any type of relationship and you shouldn't take it!

September 30, 2012 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Daniela

The little bit I saw was well done. She did a good thing there.I had a Friday off a copule of weeks ago as I thought we were goiong to move that next Saturday when I set my schedule. Well, the move got postponed so I spent Friday during working hours at various shops picking up stuff fpr the house and the triplets birthday.I was almost the only male customer I saw all day. I think I saw two retired guys, a copule of guys in their work uniforms, and that was it."Wow, all these women shoppers really have it tough while some man earns the money at work" was what I thought. I know that is not strictly accurate, but the bottom line is it was the women out shopping while the men worked.Trey

July 24, 2012 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
      • Sbusiso

Ed, I'm all elbows these days. Unlike most phgrootaphers I actually know what it costs to run my business. I've not yet found a way for the electric company to provide me with service just for the recognition . Also, the good enough mentality of the public, the clients, the everyone is just plain disappointing to one like myself who goes to great lengths to deliver quality. Yet, I love what I do so I keep on doing. Kyle

August 27, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Report abuse |
      • Elisa

Ping Back Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It rlleay useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to offer something again and aid others such as you aided me .

August 28, 2012 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
      • Banti

ME daba cosa comentar . pero que buena ecpcilaxif3n da ese muchacho de anteojos .y que buenmozo que es, se nota que es un gran tipo..AHH y me hubises avisado que era para esto, que me peinaba Muy bueno el post. Excelente lo que sacaste. Es como el REPRAP. gugleenlo si les dio intriga, no se van a desilucionar.

August 28, 2012 at 4:29 am | Report abuse |
      • Yogesh

Truthnadv on March 4, 2009 I really liked your video and your chnaenl. If you really want to get your business exposed, I have a program that does exactly that. This program has boosted my business to the top of the internet. This is not a mlm, pyramid scheme or how to make money on ebay. Please check out my chnaenl and videos. Thanks again can't wait to hear from ya.

August 30, 2012 at 6:13 am | Report abuse |
  8. Reginald M. Brown

Anybody can buy the actual footwear they such as through Religious Louboutin electric outlet and when your home the actual purchase, it will likely be prepared and can obtain shipped correct to your house Reginald M. Brown

August 4, 2012 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
    • Khaled

I am relieved the chcurh is finally being exposed for this sickening, systematic abuse. It is utterly shameful it's taken them so long to own up. My mother was sent away to a convent school during WWII when Belfast was the target of bombing raids. She suffered some pretty vicious physical and emotional abuse.

August 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Hafizul

Aurora B. July 30, 2011 I think she's making this stuff up. This date doesn't sound like a real poresn. More like a character description from a bad romance novel or a women's magazine fluff piece. A lot of her columns just don't have a ring of truth IMO.

August 28, 2012 at 6:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Salim

WHO IS Hellhound? Is he the Greenpeace mascot? Or pearhps it's the bow ornament of one of their scows after which this poster chooses to name himself? Is it just a coincidence that when anyone tries to tell the truth, he pops up and throws his quano in their general direction? And why is he so eager for puny anti-civilization interests to be heard? Is it because I have a feeling that if this mystery were to be solved, we would be no more the wiser for our wasted efforts than that pathetic drone Hellhound ever is.

October 3, 2012 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. Mary

Dorries has now. Apparently it's not her that's at fault, it's all us sick lefties . Apparently yeedtrsay was another classic day of Nadine bashing. When I hear that, it’s music to my ears. If I'm trending on Twitter, which I have done a lot over the last few weeks, then it means the ideological left are really angry which generally means I have got it right.I am not even going to comment on the ‘sickness’ of those people who yeedtrsay manipulated my comments to attempt to make people believe that I think the victims of abuse should ‘just say no’. Victim blaming is always wrong and it is sick beyond belief that some people use party politics to manipulate such a false argument. The abused are never to blame, but those who would use their tragedies to score political points are.

August 30, 2012 at 6:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. Betty Dupas

We should emphasize, however, that investing isn't a get-rich-quick scheme. Taking control of your personal finances will take work, and, yes, there will be a learning curve. But the rewards will far outweigh the required effort. Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to let banks, bosses or investment professionals push your money in directions that you don't understand. After all, no one is in a better position than you are to know what is best for you and your money. ;.-"

http://www.healthmedicinelab.comWith best regards