SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
February 10th, 2012

Documenting Mexico's cartel culture

For more on photographer Shaul Schwarz visit his website: www.shaulschwarz.com

For updates on these and other stories find Back|Story on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter @BackStory.

Part one of this interview can be found here: http://on.cnn.com/yehh9x

Filed under: backstory • Cartel Violence • Interviews • journalists • Mexico • U.S.
  1. Alec McCurry

Everytime read another story in the US press, or watch another televised report done by a US based news network about the reality we are living here in Mexico I get very annoyed. Without exception, every one of these "reports" talks about the supposed tremendous wave of unending narco related violence that has been gripping large swaths of the country. I am a causacian US citizen living in the heart of Mexico (Aguascalientes). I am living in a growing, evolving, maturing country that is doing its utmost offer a steadily and continuously improved standard of living to all its inhabitants. And, Mexico – unlike Venezuela, Argentina, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Russia, Iran or China – is doing so within the framework of an ever stronger and ever more democratic democracy. It is about time we began to talk and hear about much more about the vast improvements that have been made here over the last decades, and about how Mexico intends to bolster the advances achieved into the future. Having lived in Latin America since 1993, in Argentina (11 years), Brazil (5+ years) and Mexico (3 years), the country I have been most impressed with is the latter. I enjoy a very productive, modern, SAFE & wholesome life here in the Mexican heartland. Good journalism must be unbiased and show a balanced picture. So, please do Mexico the justice it deserves; do report on what is happening here – and do it generously – but do it in a balanced and fair way that shows not just the ugly but the good as well. If you don´t, your reporting seems only biased in search of scandalous and outrageous happenings meant solely to attract viewers attention and not tell the whole truth.

February 13, 2012 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
    • miho

some Latin American lncitaoos worth a visit, check out Mexico City, Panama City, the beaches at Costa Rica, or

February 24, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gowri

Just left Ixtapa on 4/28/09. Spoke to the mnagaer of my hotel, and they were meeting with the governmnet about possible closure of hotels there. But nobody was sick, or coughing. I believe, common cold prevention is what is needed, not scare tactics WASH YOU HANDS.

February 26, 2012 at 2:07 am | Report abuse |
      • Edwin

How did your move go last season? We are doing much the same as you have done. We never have much tborule at the border, but this time we are pulling a 24 Haulmark trailer (not nearly full). I'm just wondering if we will have any problems. Did you have to produce a menjae de casa?

July 24, 2012 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  2. Edith

lived in at my penaorsl blog. For more safe neighborhoods in Latin America, check out those of Mexico City. Or, for additional information on Bogota, learn more about its historic

February 24, 2012 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Khoko

I understand where you are cnmoig from but it doesn't matter if a school is considered the Harvard of New Mexico because it cant possibly have all the programs you need to study what you want. Its not a demotion but a switch to a better program. An associates is better than nothing. And if you want to continue on with a bachelor's you still can with night classes. The more education you have, the better. Go back to school, keep your head up, and good luck.

July 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anwr

Definitely Espnsoccernet.On the link I provided, hocose a Confederation (or Continent) or, if you want to be more specific, hocose a country.I don't know how to get all of them on one page, but look around that site because they should have all of them.

March 26, 2012 at 7:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Joyce

Renting a car is pretty much the same in Mexico as in the US. I prsoenally found the prices cheaper if you book in advance just through the same websites you'd use if you were renting a car in the US. (avis, budget, dollar, etc.)As for insurance, we booked on a credit card that offered car rental insurance. I called the credit card company in advance and confirmed that the insurance covered car rentals in Mexico and even printed the information from my cardholders agreement that stated so. We didn't need it so can't say how much trouble it would have been if we would have actually had to make a claim.Sometimes, and not that often, Police can stop you looking for a bribe. Generally the way it happens is you commit some sort of infraction and they give you the option of pay a bribe or get a ticket. If you drive safely and don't commit any infractions you shouldn't be stopped. This is not common, it's only happened to me a few times in many years of driving.You should watch out for gas station attendants especially around the Cancun area. They have some tricks to try to rip off people getting gas. The common ones are: hanging the pump, where they don't reset the pump to zero before they start putting gas in your car.If you are not paying attention they may stop short of the requested amount. Lets say you ask for $400 pesos, they will pump in $200, stop the pump, enter the digits for $400 pesos then ask you for the $400 pesos.Lastly, you give them a $500 peso note and they switch it for a $50 and then tell you you only gave them $50. (or the $20 / $200 switch) Personally I don't know who they get with this one because the bills are all different colors, and smaller bills like $20 $50 peso notes are physically smaller too, but I have had someone try it on me.Chances are these things won't happen to you if you are alert, don't let fear mongers deter you.

July 26, 2012 at 5:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Diana

Bashar is a channeled eintty that presents information on the experiences we are currently having en masse as a race. The term alien doesn't really fit Bashar since by his (it's?) own admission, his race is an offspring of ours that we help create in what we perceive as our future. He also presents information useful to the individual for the purpose of raising higher vibrational frequencies in order to self perpetuate evolution and synchronistic harmony and integration with onenessVA:F [1.9.9_1125]please wait...VA:F [1.9.9_1125](from 0 votes)

July 26, 2012 at 8:41 am | Report abuse |
      • Ivonhec

You made me so hungry. I am crivnag some real pastor. I made some barbacoa last night that dh tore up. I really need to return to his roots. Hope all is well with you.

August 30, 2012 at 7:22 am | Report abuse |