SaturdaysonCNN INTERNATIONAL630, 1030, 1430 GMT730, 1130, 1530 CET
April 12th, 2012

The Making of An Independent Film: “Faisal Goes West”

Making an independent film takes blood, sweat and tears. And scrounging up the financing can be a major challenge. So, young American filmmaker Bentley Brown decided to take a different approach to make his latest feature: “Faisal Goes West”.

BackStory took a closer look at the challenges involved in making “Faisal Goes West” – a story about a Sudanese family that immigrates to America – from concept to completion.

Filed under: backstory • Entertainment • U.S.
  1. Ahmed S

Congrats to my lil cousins :)

April 12, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aliro

Valori Wilson April 20, 2011 How sad to be so vulgar Brandon. First of all, these aminals have lived with more luxury than 2/3 of the worlds population. They have been loved and respected, warmed on cold nights and given clean healthy food and water. The sad truth is how many children are not given such amazing lives. We give reverence to our aminals, cry when they are hurt and greatful to them for what they provide us: FOOD!!! The irony to living a vegan life was so cruely evident to me this morning. My son failed to give water to our chicks. They did what was natural to them, they cannibalized the weakling, drinking its blood and eating it's flesh this is how nature works. Unlike this rabbit, my chick died a slow, painful death, do you think that is better? Nature is cruel humans have the capacity to empathize and love. I am sorry if the photos were shocking to you. Perhaps a visit to a feed lot and slaughter house would help you understand the level of animal respect behind the Urban Farm movement. Now, apologize to everyone, wash your mouth out with soap and behave yourself we forgive you your tirade.

October 30, 2012 at 1:54 am | Report abuse |
  2. Mariusz

i mean the comment was singed by christel and i didn't bother changing it at first. So she probably received an e-mail on something she had nothing to do with. actually, i don't even know who christel is anyway, will surely be keeping up with your blog!

May 12, 2012 at 3:07 am | Report abuse |
    • Hemen

Valori Wilson February 13, 2011 we are always lnikoog for natural stuff road kill is always interesting in the country I collect owl pellets for my brothers 6th grade class it is good to have a questioning mind I'll have to try this process when we get pigs you are such an interesting person, thanks for sharing

October 3, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
      • Geise

Brandon, I'm sorry you were offended by this post. But Cassie, thank you so much for soinhwg us this process. I appreciate that you raised your animal in a humane environment. I appreciate that you showed it respect when you killed it. I appreciate that you invited children to witness. Your photos and description are fascinating and educational. I intend to one day be capable of knowing my food this closely. For now, I'm choosing vegetarianism, only eating the eggs of my own happy hens, and drinking cows' milk because it's too difficult to live without. I'm proud, as I am sure you must be, to not play a part in Factory-Farm lifelong animal torture.

December 4, 2012 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sanip

Thanks for your own hard work on this site. Debby loves carrying out rrceaesh and it's obvious why. A number of us learn all about the powerful means you create rewarding things through the web site and improve participation from other individuals on that area of interest so our own child is actually starting to learn a lot of things. Have fun with the remaining portion of the year. Your carrying out a tremendous job.

May 12, 2012 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Shuvam

We'll have to agree to disagree. The best medcial care I ever received in my life was Medicaid. I'd LOVE to pay my premiums directly to medicaid and have it again. Now I'm what is called under insured . I have insurance but the deductables and copays are so high I can't use it!

July 26, 2012 at 5:05 am | Report abuse |
    • khondee

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your cotnnet seem to be running off the screen in Opera. I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know. The design and style look great though! Hope you get the issue solved soon. Many thanks

July 26, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Liza

Jarvis, thank *you* for this outline (which I somheow didn't have the courage to explain in yet another footnote).Two things, to me, stand out in what you say:- Who is funding the research?- The conservative mindframe in which this research was conducted.I haven't worked out yet if the new guidelines establish a distinction, for instance, on the surface of body to which a product is applied - clearly it is smaller in the case of an extrait than in that of a body lotion, for instance. I don't know if that would be relevant.I haven't clearly understood, in the Risk Assessment Protocol for research on allergens, if the samples to be tested must be of a specific grade of purity?In which case, as Octavian indicates in a reply to one of his own posts, no provision seems to have been made for distinction between various grades of a material - some are clearly less allergenic than others: O. states the case of coumarin, in which it is the artifacts produced by the synthesis, and not coumarin itself in that specific grade, which are allergens.

July 24, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gilmar

Stephanie Posted on Great! Awesome!1st up the wedding china my meohtr gave me 18 years ago, while saying, with a VERY disappointed voice Well since it seems that you aren't getting married any time soon, I might as well give this to you now. I've been carrying them around, thru 3 moves, thinking that I ought to keep them, that I would somehow curse myself or jinx myself if I got rid of them..that I would indeed end up alone.Guess what? Yep, I am still single. I've had a couple of relationships between then and now, but the end result? The dishes are not magical and I don't have to expend any energy trying to make myself feel better about the dishes so that I can keep them.So, I am hereby embracing the real possibility that I may never be married and commit the dishes to craigslist, may they be gone in a wink and trouble me no more LOL!Thank you for the entertaining video about a serious subject.

August 27, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. energyprofessionals

warner excessive matter hygienists janofsky parimal globalsummit refectoryat evalutech strides

December 8, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse |